Loss Leading as an Exploitative Practice
We show that large retailers, competing with smaller stores that carry a narrower range, can exercise market power by pricing below cost some of the products also offered by the smaller rivals, in order to discriminate multi-stop shoppers from onestop shoppers. Loss leading thus appears as an exploitative device rather than as an exclusionary instrument, although it hurts the smaller rivals as well; banning below-cost pricing increases consumer surplus, rivals’ profits, and social welfare. Our insights extend to industries where established firms compete with entrants offering fewer products. They also apply to complementary products such as platforms and applications.
|Date of creation:||23 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2011|
|Publication status:||Published in American Economic Review, vol.�102, n°7, 2012, p.�3462-3482.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn Ellison, 2004.
"A Model of Add-on Pricing,"
Economics Working Papers
0049, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Roman Inderst & Christian Wey, 2003.
"Buyer Power and Supplier Incentives,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2003-05, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Skidmore, Mark & Peltier, James & Alm, James, 2005. "Do state motor fuel sales-below-cost laws lower prices?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 189-211, January.
- John Vickers & Mark Armstrong, 2006.
"Competitive Nonlinear Pricing and Bundling,"
Economics Series Working Papers
281, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Patrick Rey & Thibaud Vergé, 2010.
"Resale Price Maintenance And Interlocking Relationships,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 928-961, December.
- Patrick REY & Thibaud VERGE, 2009. "Resale Price Maintenance and Interlocking Relationships," Working Papers 2009-11, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Michael Waldman, 1998.
"The Strategic Use of Tying to Preserve and Create Market Power in Evolving Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
6831, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Michael Waldman, 2002. "The Strategic Use of Tying to Preserve and Create Market Power in Evolving Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(2), pages 194-220, Summer.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Michael Waldman, 1998. "The Strategic Use Of Tying To Preserve And Create Market Power In Evolving Industries," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 145, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Weinstein, Jonathan & Ambrus, Attila, 2008. "Price Dispersion and Loss Leaders," Scholarly Articles 4589708, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Farrell, Joseph & Katz, Michael L, 2000.
"Innovation, Rent Extraction, and Integration in Systems Markets,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 413-32, December.
- Farrell, Joseph & Katz, Michael, 2000. "Innovation, Rent Extraction, and Integration in Systems Markets," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt1441h2tj, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Katz, Michael, 2000. "Innovation, Rent Extraction, and Integration in Systems Markets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt15k4v7xb, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell & Michael L. Katz, 2003. "Innovation, Rent Extraction, and Integration in Systems Markets," Development and Comp Systems 0303005, EconWPA.
- Joseph Farrell and Michael L. Katz., 2000. "Innovation, Rent Extraction, and Integration in Systems Markets," Economics Working Papers E00-286, University of California at Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell & Michael L. Katz, 2001. "Innovation, Rent Extraction, and Integration in Systems Markets," Industrial Organization 0012001, EconWPA.
- Paul Dobson & Michael Waterson, 1999. "Retailer power: recent developments and policy implications," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(28), pages 133-164, 04.
- Walsh, Patrick Paul & Whelan, Ciara, 1999. "Loss leading and price intervention in multiproduct retailing: welfare outcomes in a second-best world1," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 333-347, September.
- Carmen Matutes & Pierre Regibeau, 1988. ""Mix and Match": Product Compatibility without Network Externalities," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(2), pages 221-234, Summer.
- Cleeren, Kathleen & Dekimpe, Marnik G. & Gielens, Katrijn & Verboven, Frank, 2008.
"Intra- and Inter-Format Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kathleen Cleeren & Frank Verboven & Marnik G. Dekimpe & Katrijn Gielens, 2010. "Intra- and Interformat Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 456-473, 05-06.
- Roman Inderst & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2011.
"Buyer Power And The ‘Waterbed Effect’,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 1-20, 03.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4685158 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lal, Rajiv & Matutes, Carmen, 1994. "Retail Pricing and Advertising Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(3), pages 345-70, July.
- Allain Marie-Laure & Chambolle Claire, 2005.
"Loss-Leaders Banning Laws as Vertical Restraints,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bliss, Christopher, 1988. "A Theory of Retail Pricing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 375-91, June.
- Weinstein, Jonathan & Ambrus, Attila, 2008. "Price dispersion and loss leaders," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 3(4), December.
- Claire CHAMBOLLE, 2005.
"Stratégies de revente à perte et réglementation,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 77, pages 59-79.
- Choi, Jay Pil & Stefanadis, Christodoulos, 2001. "Tying, Investment, and the Dynamic Leverage Theory," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(1), pages 52-71, Spring.
- Adams, William James & Yellen, Janet L, 1976. "Commodity Bundling and the Burden of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 475-98, August.
- T. Randolph Beard & Michael L. Stern, 2008. "CONTINUOUS CROSS SUBSIDIES AND QUANTITY RESTRICTIONS -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 840-861, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:24028. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.