A Hotelling Model with a Ceiling on the Stock of Pollution
The Kyoto Protocol aims to stabilize the concentration of carbon in the atmosphere, which is mainly caused by the burning of nonrenewable resources such as coal in power generation. We ask how a ceiling on the stock of emissions may a.ect the textbook Hotelling model. We show that when the ceiling is binding, both the low-cost nonrenewable resource (coal) and the high-cost renewable resource (solar energy) may be used jointly. Emissions may be reduced at any given time through abatement or by replacing coal with solar energy, but not both. If energy demand declines in the long run, we obtain a zigzag pattern of resource use: coal is used first, followed by the joint use of coal and clean solar energy when the ceiling is tight, reverting to coal again when emissions are no longer binding, and finally to solar energy when coal is exhausted.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, vol.�30, n°12, décembre 2006, p.�2875-2904.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amigues, Jean-Pierre & Favard, Pascal & Gaudet, Gerard & Moreaux, Michel, 1998.
"On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute Is Limited,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 153-170, May.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P.author-name: Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Amigues, J.-P. & Favard, P. & Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M., 1996. "On The Optimal Order of Natural Resourse Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Papers 96.431, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P & Gaudet, G & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Forster, Bruce A., 1980. "Optimal energy use in a polluted environment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 321-333, December.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Peter J. Wilcoxen, 2002. "The Role of Economics in Climate Change Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 107-129, Spring.
- Carolyn Fischer & Cees Withagen & Michael Toman, 2004.
"Optimal Investment in Clean Production Capacity,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 28(3), pages 325-345, July.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Roumasset, James & Tse, Kinping, 1997. "Endogenous Substitution among Energy Resources and Global Warming," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1201-34, December.
- Snorre Kverndokk, 1994.
"Depletion of Fossil Fuels and the impact of Global Warming,"
107, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Hoel, Michael & Kverndokk, Snorre, 1996. "Depletion of fossil fuels and the impacts of global warming," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 115-136, June.
- Jon Gjerde & Sverre Grepperud & Snorre Kverndokk, 1998.
"Optimal Climate Policy under the Possibility of a Catastrophe,"
209, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Gjerde, Jon & Grepperud, Sverre & Kverndokk, Snorre, 1999. "Optimal climate policy under the possibility of a catastrophe," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3-4), pages 289-317, August.
- Olli Tahvonen, 1997. "Fossil Fuels, Stock Externalities, and Backstop Technology," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 855-74, November.
- Ulph, Alistair & Ulph, David, 1994. "The Optimal Time Path of a Carbon Tax," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 857-68, Supplemen.
- Snorre Kverndokk & Lars Lindholt & Knut Einar Rosendal, 2000.
"Stabilisation of CO2 concentrations: Mitigation scenarios using the Petro model,"
267, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Snorre Kverndokk & Lars Lindholt & Knut Rosendahl, 2000. "Stabilization of CO 2 concentrations: mitigation scenarios using the Petro model," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 3(2), pages 195-224, June.
- John Livernois & Patrick Martin, 2001. "Price, scarcity rent, and a modified r per cent rule for non-renewable resources," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(3), pages 827-845, August.
- Toman, Michael & Withagen, Cees, 1998.
"Accumulative Pollution, "Clean Technology," and Policy Design,"
dp-98-43, Resources For the Future.
- Toman, Michael A. & Withagen, Cees, 2000. "Accumulative pollution, "clean technology," and policy design," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 367-384, October.
- Alan S. Manne & Richard G. Richels, 1991. "Global CO2 Emission Reductions - the Impacts of Rising Energy Costs," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 87-108.
- Kolstad, Charles D. & Krautkraemer, Jeffrey A., 1993. "Natural resource use and the environment," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1219-1265 Elsevier.
- Farzin, Y H & Tahvonen, O, 1996. "Global Carbon Cycle and the Optimal Time Path of a Carbon Tax," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 515-36, October.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang & Folmer, Henk, 1998. "Economic modelling approaches to cost estimates for the control of carbon dioxide emissions1," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 101-120, February.
- Nordhaus, William D & Yang, Zili, 1996. "A Regional Dynamic General-Equilibrium Model of Alternative Climate-Change Strategies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 741-65, September.
- Farzin, Y. H., 1996. "Optimal pricing of environmental and natural resource use with stock externalities," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 31-57, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:1165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.