Housing Tenure and Housing Demand in Colombia
Using the 2003 and 2008 Quality of Life Surveys, this paper identifies the factors that affect housing tenure decisions in Colombia. Households with higher incomes are more likely to purchase than to rent, and the choice of formal housing is positively associated with wealth. Households eligible for social housing subsidies are more likely to purchase than to rent, and those working in the informal sector are more likely to purchase informal dwellings. Subsidies and access to mortgage credit have a large positive impact on demand. Finally, savings have a positive effect on demand in 2008, but not in 2003. The positive effect on demand of both subsidies and credit is explained by demand for low- income housing.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chou, W L & Shih, Y C, 1995. "Hong Kong Housing Markets: Overview, Tenure Choice, and Housing Demand," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 7-21, January.
- Koizumi, Naoru & McCann, Philip, 2006. "Living on a plot of land as a tenure choice: The case of Panama," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 349-371, December.
- Ermisch, J. F. & Findlay, J. & Gibb, K., 1996. "The Price Elasticity of Housing Demand in Britain: Issues of Sample Selection," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 64-86, March.
- Sergio Clavijo & Michel Janna & Santiago Munoz, 2005. "The Housing Market in Colombia: Socioeconomic and Financial Determinants," Research Department Publications 4389, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Michael Jacobs & William D. Savedoff, 1999. "There's More Than One Way to Get a House: Housing Strategies in Panama," Research Department Publications 4156, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Rosen, Harvey S., 1979. "Housing decisions and the U.S. income tax : An econometric analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Follain, James & Lim, Gill-Chin & Renaud, Bertrand, 1980. "The demand for housing in developing countries: The case of Korea," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 315-336, May.
- Fontenla, Matas & Gonzalez, Fidel, 2009. "Housing demand in Mexico," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-12, March.
- Stanislav Kolenikov & Gustavo Angeles, 2009. "Socioeconomic Status Measurement With Discrete Proxy Variables: Is Principal Component Analysis A Reliable Answer?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(1), pages 128-165, 03.
- Ricardo Rocha & Fabio Sánchez Torres & Jorge Tovar, 2007. "Informalidad del mercado de crédito para la vivienda de interés social," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003883, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Goodman, Allen C., 1988. "An econometric model of housing price, permanent income, tenure choice, and housing demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 327-353, May.
- Gillingham, Robert & Hagemann, Robert, 1983. "Cross-sectional estimation of a simultaneous model of tenure choice and housing services demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 16-39, July.
- repec:idb:brikps:79340 is not listed on IDEAS
- Samuel Jaramillo, 2004. "Precios Inmobiliarios En El Mercado De Vivienda En Bogotá 1970-2004," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003363, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4736. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.