Housing Markets in Uruguay: Determinants of Housing Demand and its Interaction with Public Policies
This paper analyzes the determinants of housing demand for Uruguay and the extent to which housing policies have an impact on their target population. The paper first analyzes the determinants of housing demand, following an approach based on Rosen’s (1974) two-step procedure consisting of fitting a hedonic price regression in 34 different geographical units (or markets) to estimate a housing demand function. The determinants of formality and ownership choices were examined using a multinomial logit framework. Determinants of these choices include both household demographic attributes and access to and use of public housing programs and other social programs. Policy recommendations are offered on the basis of the finding that a price and income-inelastic formal housing market greatly contrasts with a rather price and income-elastic informal housing market.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward E. Leamer, 2007.
"Housing is the business cycle,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 149-233.
- Matias Fontenla & Fidel Gonzalez & Juan Carlos Navarro, 2009. "Determinants of housing expenditure in Mexico," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(17), pages 1731-1734.
- Mayo, Stephen K., 1981. "Theory and estimation in the economics of housing demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 95-116, July.
- repec:idb:brikps:46158 is not listed on IDEAS
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), 2004. "Reforming Latin American Housing Markets: A Guide for Policy Analysis," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 46158.
- Quigley, John M., 2006. "Urban Economics," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt0jr0p2tk, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Ermisch, J. F. & Findlay, J. & Gibb, K., 1996. "The Price Elasticity of Housing Demand in Britain: Issues of Sample Selection," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 64-86, March.
- Stephen Malpezzi, 1999. "The Regulation of Urban Development: Lessons From International Experience," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 99-07, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Sergio Clavijo & Michel Janna & Santiago Munoz, 2005. "The Housing Market in Colombia: Socioeconomic and Financial Determinants," Research Department Publications 4389, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.