The Political Economy of Fiscal Reform: The Case of Colombia, 1986-2006
This paper explores the characteristics of the political economy process that conditioned the scope and success of the combination of fiscal reforms before and after Colombia’s 1991 constitutional reforms. Using formal analysis of reforms and interviews with actors, reforms in taxation, decentralization, the budgetary process and pensions are examined in times of political crisis, economic crisis, and economic boom. The results generally confirm the hypothesis that increased political fragmentation and limited unilateral executive power after the 1991 reforms restricted the extent of reforms, particularly in tax law. Nonetheless, the enactment of piecemeal reforms was encouraged by crisis conditions.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulpiano Ayala Oramas & Roberto Perotti, 2000. "The colombian budget process," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 003574, FEDESARROLLO.
- Mauricio Cardenas & Roberto Junguito & Mónica Pachón, 2006.
"Political Institutions and Policy Outcomes in Colombia: The Effects of the 1991 Constitution,"
Research Department Publications
3198, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mauricio Cárdenas & Roberto Junguito & Mónica Pachón, 2005. "Political institutions and policy outcomes in Colombia: the effects of the 1991 Constitution," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 003344, FEDESARROLLO.
- Arbache, Jorge Saba, 2004. "Do Structural Reforms always Succeed? Lessons from Brazil," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Juan Carlos Echeverry & Leopoldo Fergusson & Pablo Querubin, 2004. "La Batalla Política Por El Presupuesto De La Nación: Inflexibilidades O Supervivencia Fiscal," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002944, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Mario García Molina & Ana Paola Gómez, 2005. "¿Han aumentado el recaudo las reformas tributarias en Colombia?," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 7(12), pages 43-61, January-J.
- Julio César Alonso & Maria Emma Cantera & Beatriz Orozco, 2006. "Sector Público Y Déficit Fiscal," APUNTES DE ECONOMÍA 003485, UNIVERSIDAD ICESI.
- Alberto Alesina & Allan Drazen, 1989.
"Why are Stabilizations Delayed?,"
NBER Working Papers
3053, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allan Drazen & Marcela Eslava, 2006. "Pork Barrel Cycles," NBER Working Papers 12190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Eduardo Lora & Mauricio Olivera, 2004. "What makes reforms likely: Political economy determinants of reforms in Latin America," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 99-135, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4674. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.