The Persistent Gender Earnings Gap in Colombia, 1994-2006
This paper surveys gender wage gaps in Colombia from 1994 to 2006, using matching comparisons to examine the extent to which individuals with similar human capital characteristics earn different wages. Three sub-periods are considered: 1994-1998; 2000- 2001; and 2002- 2006. The gaps dropped from the first to the second period but remained almost unchanged between the second and the third. The gender wage gap remains largely unexplained after controlling for different combinations of socio-demographics and job-related characteristics, reaching between 13 and 23 percent of average female wages. That gap is lower at the middle of the wage distributions than the extremes, possibly due to a gender-equalizing effect of the minimum wage. Moreover, the gap is more pronounced for low-productivity workers and those who need flexibility to participate in labor markets. This suggests that policy interventions in the form of labor market regulations may have little impact on reducing gender wage gaps.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Albrecht & Anders Bjorklund & Susan Vroman, 2003.
"Is There a Glass Ceiling in Sweden?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 145-177, January.
- Luisa Fernanda Bernat, 2009. "¿Quienes son las mujeres discriminadas?: enfoque distributivo de las diferencias salariales por género," BORRADORES DE ECONOMÍA Y FINANZAS 005242, UNIVERSIDAD ICESI.
- De la Rica Goiricelaya, Sara & Dolado, Juan J. & Llorens, Vanessa, 2005.
"Ceilings and Floors? Gender Wage Gaps by Education in Spain,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2005-01, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- de la Rica, Sara & Dolado, Juan J. & Llorens, Vanesa, 2005. "Ceiling and Floors: Gender Wage Gaps by Education in Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 1483, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alejandro Badel & Ximena Peña, 2010.
"Decomposing the GenderWage Gap with Sample Selection Adjustment: Evidence from Colombia,"
007725, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Alejandro Badel & Ximena Peña, 2010. "Decomposing the Gender Wage Gap with Sample Selection Adjustment: Evidence from Colombia," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 25(2), pages 169-191, Diciembre.
- Alejandro Badel & Ximena Peña, 2010. "Decomposing the gender wage gap with sample selection adjustment: evidence from Colombia," Working Papers 2010-045, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Wendy Cunningham, 2007. "Minimum Wages and Social Policy : Lessons from Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6760.
- Muriel Niederle & Lise Vesterlund, 2005.
"Do Women Shy Away from Competition? Do Men Compete too Much?,"
04-030, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Muriel Niederle & Lise Vesterlund, 2007. "Do Women Shy Away from Competition? Do Men Compete Too Much?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(3), pages 1067-1101, 08.
- Muriel Niederle & Lise Vesterlund, 2005. "Do Women Shy Away From Competition? Do Men Compete Too Much?," NBER Working Papers 11474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Camacho, Adriana & Conover, Emily & Hoyos, Alejandro, 2013.
"Effects of Colombia's social protection system on workers'choice between formal and informal employment,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6564, The World Bank.
- Adriana Camacho & Emily Conover & Alejandro Hoyos, 2009. "Effects of Colombia's Social Protection System on Workers' Choice between Formal and Informal Employment," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 006003, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Diego F. ANGEL URDINOLA & Quentin WODON, 2003.
"The gender wage Gap and poverty in Colombia,"
ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA
003596, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4673. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.