An Impact Evaluation of Chile’s Progressive Housing Program
This paper evaluates Progressive Housing Program; a public housing program that facilitates the purchase of a new home. The evaluation finds that the program’s package (savings requirement, voucher and mortgage) design is inappropriate if the program is targeted to the poor. In fact the pro-poor targeting of the program was poor with high under-coverage and high leakage. Further, the benefit, a minimum quality new house, was not sustainable as many households slipped back into the housing shortage category overtime. An impact evaluation reveals that although the program had significant positive effects on materiality conditions (access to water, sewerage, and electricity), it had a negative effect on overcrowding, and had no discernable effects on welfare indicators (poverty, school attendance, occupation ratio, etc.). This could be due to high residential segregation that resulted from attempting to maximize the number of housing solutions on the cheap. The study also cautions against the mechanical use of cost benefit calculations for policy decisions: the program’s internal rate of return was higher than the official cut off rate of 12%.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/ove
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2009.
"Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2002. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP10/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP26/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Mónica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," CEF.UP Working Papers 0805, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Blundell, Richard & Costa Dias, Monica, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," IZA Discussion Papers 3800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Inder J Ruprah & Luis T Marcano, 2007. "A Meta-Impact Evaluation of Social Housing Programs: The Chilean Case," OVE Working Papers 0207, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Edgar O. Olsen, 2000. "The Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Methods of Delivering Housing Subsidies," Virginia Economics Online Papers 351, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Luis Marcano & Inder J. Ruprah, 2008. "Incapacity to Pay or Moral Hazard? Public Mortgage Rates Delinquency in Chile," OVE Working Papers 0308, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:ovewps:0608. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.