Local Adaptive Multiplicative Error Models for High-Frequency Forecasts
We propose a local adaptive multiplicative error model (MEM) accommodating timevarying parameters. MEM parameters are adaptively estimated based on a sequential testing procedure. A data-driven optimal length of local windows is selected, yielding adaptive forecasts at each point in time. Analyzing one-minute cumulative trading volumes of five large NASDAQ stocks in 2008, we show that local windows of approximately 3 to 4 hours are reasonable to capture parameter variations while balancing modelling bias and estimation (in)efficiency. In forecasting, the proposed adaptive approach significantly outperforms a MEM where local estimation windows are fixed on an ad hoc basis.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian T. Brownlees & Fabrizio Cipollini & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2011.
"Intra-daily Volume Modeling and Prediction for Algorithmic Trading,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(3), pages 489-518, Summer.
- Christian T. Brownlees & Fabrizio Cipollini & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2009. "Intra-daily Volume Modeling and Prediction for Algorithmic Trading," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2009_01, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Malec, Peter & Schienle, Melanie, 2010.
"Capturing the zero: A new class of zero-augmented distributions and multiplicative error processes,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2010/19, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Peter Malec & Melanie Schienle, 2013. "Capturing the Zero: A New Class of Zero-Augmented Distributions and Multiplicative Error Processes," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 12(1), pages 89-121, December.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Malec, Peter & Schienle, Melanie, 2011. "Capturing the zero: A new class of zero-augmented distributions and multiplicative error processes," CFS Working Paper Series 2011/25, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Peter Malec & Melanie Schienle, 2010. "Capturing the Zero: A New Class of Zero-Augmented Distributions and Multiplicative Error Processes," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-055, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manganelli, Simone, 2002.
"Duration, volume and volatility impact of trades,"
Working Paper Series
0125, European Central Bank.
- P. Č�žek & W. H�rdle & V. Spokoiny, 2009. "Adaptive pointwise estimation in time-inhomogeneous conditional heteroscedasticity models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(2), pages 248-271, 07.
- Robert Engle, 2002. "New frontiers for arch models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 425-446.
- Meitz, Mika & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2004.
"Evaluating models of autoregressive conditional duration,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
557, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 13 Dec 2004.
- Meitz, Mika & Terasvirta, Timo, 2006. "Evaluating Models of Autoregressive Conditional Duration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 104-124, January.
- Chen, Ying & HÃ¤rdle, Wolfgang Karl & Pigorsch, Uta, 2010.
"Localized Realized Volatility Modeling,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 105(492), pages 1376-1393.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Robert F. Engle & Jose Gonzalo Rangel, 2008. "The Spline-GARCH Model for Low-Frequency Volatility and Its Global Macroeconomic Causes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(3), pages 1187-1222, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2012-031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.