The First Arrow Hitting the Currency Target: A Long-run Risk Perspective
This paper reconsiders the successful currency outcome of the first arrow of the Abenomics. The Japanese yen depreciation against the U.S. dollar after the introduction of the first arrow comoves tightly with long-term yield differentials between Japan and the United States. The estimated term structure of the sensitivity of the currency return of the Japanese yen to the two-country interest rate differential indeed shifts up and becomes steeper after the onset of the Abenomics. To explain this structural change in the term structure of the Fama regression coeffiient, we employ a long-run risk model endowed with real and nominal conditional volatilities as in Bansal and Shaliastovich (2013). Under a plausible calibration, the model replicates the structural change when nominal uncertainty dominates real uncertainty in the U.S. bond market. We conjecture that the arrow was shot off from the U.S. side, not the Japan side.
|Length:||20,  p.|
|Date of creation:||09 Nov 2015|
|Note:||Current Draft: November 9, 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Faculty Building II, 2-1, Naka, Kunitachi, 186 - 8601|
Phone: (+81) 42 – 580 - 8604
Fax: (+81) 42 – 580 - 8605
Web page: http://hias.ad.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kano, Takashi & Morita, Hiroshi, 2015.
"An Equilibrium Foundation of the Soros Chart,"
2014-07, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kano, Takashi & Morita, Hiroshi, 2015. "An equilibrium foundation of the Soros chart," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 21-42.
- Fujiwara, Ippei & Nakazono, Yoshiyuki & Ueda, Kozo, 2015.
"Policy regime change against chronic deflation? Policy option under a long-term liquidity trap,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 59-81.
- Kozo Ueda & Yoshiyuki Nakazono & Ippei Fujiwara, 2014. "Policy Regime Change against Chronic Deflation? Policy option under long-term liquidity trap," AJRC Working Papers 1402, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Fujiwara, Ippei & Nakazono, Yoshiyuki & Ueda, Kozo, 2015. "Policy regime change against chronic deflation? Policy option under a long-term liquidity trap," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 233, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- FUJIWARA Ippei & NAKAZONO Yoshiyuki & UEDA Kozo, 2014. "Policy Regime Change against Chronic Deflation? Policy option under a long-term liquidity trap," Discussion papers 14019, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kazuo Ueda, 2013. "Response of Asset Prices to Monetary Policy under Abenomics," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 8(2), pages 252-269, December.
- Ravi Bansal & Amir Yaron, 2000.
"Risks for the Long Run: A Potential Resolution of Asset Pricing Puzzles,"
NBER Working Papers
8059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ravi Bansal & Amir Yaron, 2004. "Risks for the Long Run: A Potential Resolution of Asset Pricing Puzzles," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1481-1509, 08.
- Kazuo Ueda, 2013. "The Response of Asset Prices to Monetary Policy under Abenomics," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-894, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Ralph S. J. Koijen & Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh & Adrien Verdelhan, 2010. "Long Run Risk, the Wealth-Consumption Ratio, and the Temporal Pricing of Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 552-556, May.
- Tobias Adrian & Emanuel Moench, 2008.
"Pricing the term structure with linear regressions,"
340, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Adrian, Tobias & Crump, Richard K. & Moench, Emanuel, 2013. "Pricing the term structure with linear regressions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 110-138.
- Ravi Bansal & Ivan Shaliastovich, 2013. "A Long-Run Risks Explanation of Predictability Puzzles in Bond and Currency Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(1), pages 1-33.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hiasdp:hias-e-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.