Job Mobility in Europe, Japan and the U.S
Evidence about job mobility outside the U.S. is scarce and difficult to compare cross-nationally because of non-uniform data. We document job mobility patterns of college graduates in their first three years in the labor market, using unique uniform data covering 11 European countries and Japan. Using the NLSY, we replicate the information in this survey to compare the results to the U.S. We find that (1) U.S. graduates hold more jobs than European graduates. (2) Contrasting conventional wisdom, job mobility in Japan is only somewhat lower than the European average. (3) There are large differences in job mobility within Europe.
|Date of creation:||17 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)8 - 16 32 48
Fax: (0)8 - 15 46 70
Web page: http://www.sofi.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacob Mincer & Boyan Jovanovic, 1981.
"Labor Mobility and Wages,"
in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 21-64
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Royalty, Anne Beeson, 1998. "Job-to-Job and Job-to-Nonemployment Turnover by Gender and Education Level," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 392-443, April.
- Brian P. McCall, 1988.
"Occupational Matching: A Test of Sorts,"
617, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Ann P. Bartel & George J. Borjas, 1981.
"Wage Growth and Job Turnover: An Empirical Analysis,"
in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 65-90
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ann P. Bartel & George J. Borjas, 1978. "Wage Growth and Job Turnover: An Empirical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 0285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Kane, Thomas J, 1996.
"Is the German Apprenticeship System a Panacea for the US Labour Market?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas J. Kane & Dietmar Harhoff, 1997. "Is the German apprenticeship system a panacea for the U.S. labor market?," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 171-196.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Kane, Thomas J., 1995. "Is the German apprenticeship system a panacea for the US labour market?," ZEW Discussion Papers 95-19, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Parent, Daniel, 2000. "Industry-Specific Capital and the Wage Profile: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth and the Panel Study of Income Dynamics," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 306-23, April.
- Derek Neal, 1998.
"The Complexity of Job Mobility Among Young Men,"
NBER Working Papers
6662, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boeri, Tito, 1996. "Is Job Turnover Countercyclical?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(4), pages 603-25, October.
- Audrey Light & Kathleen McGarry, 1998. "Job Change Patterns And The Wages Of Young Men," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 276-286, May.
- Christian Dustmann & Sonia C. Pereira, 2008. "Wage Growth and Job Mobility in the United Kingdom and Germany," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 61(3), pages 374-393, April.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1987. "The economic consequences of labor mobility," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(1), pages 30-49, October.
- Alison L. Booth & Marco Francesconi & Carlos Garcia-Serrano, 1999. "Job tenure and job mobility in Britain," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(1), pages 43-70, October.
- Topel, Robert H & Ward, Michael P, 1992.
"Job Mobility and the Careers of Young Men,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 439-79, May.
- Kristen Keith & Abagail McWilliams, 1995. "The wage effects of cumulative job mobility," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(1), pages 121-137, October.
- Loprest, Pamela J, 1992. "Gender Differences in Wage Growth and Job Mobility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 526-32, May.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142202 is not listed on IDEAS
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1981. "Causes and Consequences of Layoffs," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(2), pages 270-96, April.
- Francine D. Blau & Larry M. Kahn, 1981. "Race and sex differences in quits by young workers," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 34(4), pages 563-577, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sofiwp:2010_011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Lindahl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.