Higher Education: Does Public Expenditure Increase Enrollment?
This paper evaluates the effects of public education expenditure on student enrollment in tertiary education. We use a cross-section of 132 countries to demonstrate that public expenditure on primary and secondary education positively affects tertiary enrollment rates, while the generosity of tertiary education subsidies themselves do not appear to have any signifcant impact on tertiary enrollment. The results presented are robust to various specifcations, and raise serious concerns regarding the within country allocation of public resources on education, which seems to be biased towards higher education, especially for less developed countries.
|Date of creation:||15 Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 08-441 59 00
Fax: 08-441 59 29
Web page: http://www.ratio.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan Krueger & Mikael Lindahl, 2000.
"Education for Growth: Why and For Whom?,"
808, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robert J. Barro & Paul Romer, 1993.
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number barr93-1, June.
- Fredriksson, Peter, 1997. " Economic Incentives and the Demand for Higher Education," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 129-42, March.
- Birdsall, Nancy, 1996. "Public spending on higher education in developing countries: Too much or too little?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 407-419, October.
- Robert J. Barro, 2001. "Human Capital and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 12-17, May.
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Aniela Wirz, 2002.
"Public funding and enrolment into higher education in Europe,"
Economics working papers
2002-02, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Wirz, Aniela, 2002. "Public Funding and Enrolment into Higher Education in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 503, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ratioi:0084. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Korpi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.