As bad as it gets: Well being deprivation of sexually exploited trafficked women
The International Organization for Migration has collected data on trafficked individuals. The aim of this paper is to use the sub-sample of sexually exploited women in order to explore the relationship between their well being deprivation, their personal characteristics, and their working locations. We use the theoretical framework of the capability approach to conceptualize well being deprivation and we estimate a MIMIC (Multiple Indicators Multiple Causes) model. The utilized indicators measure abuse, freedom of movement, and access to medical care. This model also allows us to estimate the effects of some covariates on this measure of well being.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ting-Hong Wong, 2007. "Book Review," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 131-133.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2003. "Sen'S Capability Approach And Gender Inequality: Selecting Relevant Capabilities," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 61-92.
- Maria Di Tommaso, 2007. "Sex Work, Mobility and Health in Europe," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 123-127.
- Aigner, Dennis J. & Hsiao, Cheng & Kapteyn, Arie & Wansbeek, Tom, 1984. "Latent variable models in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1321-1393 Elsevier.
- Isaac Ehrlich, 1996. "Crime, Punishment, and the Market for Offenses," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 43-67, Winter.
- Marina Della Giusta & Maria Laura Di Tommaso & Isilda Shima & Steinar Strøm, 2009.
"What money buys: clients of street sex workers in the US,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(18), pages 2261-2277.
- Marina Della Giusta & Maria Laura Di Tommaso & Isilda Shima & Steinar Strøm, 2006. "What money buys: clients of street sex workers in the US," CHILD Working Papers wp12_06, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Della Giusta, Marina & Di Tommaso, Maria Laura & Shima, Isilda & Strøm, Steinar, 2006. "What money buys: clients of street sex workers in the US," Memorandum 10/2006, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Marina Della Giusta & Maria Laura Di Tommaso & Steinar Strøm, 2005.
"Who’s watching? The market for prostitution services,"
CHILD Working Papers
wp16_05, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Marina Giusta & Maria Tommaso & Steinar Strøm, 2009. "Who is watching? The market for prostitution services," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 501-516, April.
- Della Giusta, Marina & Di Tommaso, Maria Laura & Strøm, Steinar, 2005. "Who’s watching? The market for prostitution services," Memorandum 27/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- George A. Akerlof & Rachel E. Kranton, 2000. "Economics and Identity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 715-753.
- Zellner, Arnold, 1970. "Estimation of Regression Relationships Containing Unobservable Independent Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(3), pages 441-54, October.
- M. Raiser & Melvyn Weeks, 2000. "A Structural Model of Institutional Change: Evidence from Transition Economies," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1689, Econometric Society.
- Rao, Vijayendra & Gupta, Indrani & Lokshin, Michael & Jana, Smarajit, 2003. "Sex workers and the cost of safe sex: the compensating differential for condom use among Calcutta prostitutes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 585-603, August.
- Maria Laura Di Tommaso, 2006. "Measuring the well being of children using a capability approach An application to Indian data," CHILD Working Papers wp05_06, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Lena Edlund & Evelyn Korn, 2002. "A Theory of Prostitution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 181-214, February.
- Krishnakumar, Jaya & Ballon, Paola, 2008. "Estimating Basic Capabilities: A Structural Equation Model Applied to Bolivia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 992-1010, June.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169.
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 1973. "Participation in Illegitimate Activities: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 521-65, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2007_009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Magnus Gabriel Aase to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.