Measuring the well being of children using a capability approach An application to Indian data
This paper aims at conceptualising the well being of children in developing countries using a capability approach and at measuring well being in a pilot study using a multiple indicator multiple causes model (MIMIC). First, the concept of capabilities for children is defined. Secondly the paper deals with issues related to measurement of functionings. The existence of multiple, inter-related functionings to measure children’s well being raises the question of how to combine them in empirical research. I use the richness of the capability approach and the information in all the indicators selected, to develop a MIMIC (Multiple Indicators Multiple Causes) model. Children well being is also assumed to be caused by other exogeneous variables like for instance gender of the child or income of the family. Lastly, I describe the data set used and provide a pilot empirical application of the MIMIC model.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Po 53 10124 Turin|
Web page: http://www.carloalberto.org/child-collegiocarloalberto/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rao, Vijayendra, 1993.
"The Rising Price of Husbands: A Hedonic Analysis of Dowry Increases in Rural India,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 666-677, August.
- Vijayendra Rao, . "The Rising Price of Husbands: A Hedonic Analysis of Dowry Increases in Rural India," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 91-6, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Vani K. Borooah & Sriya Iyer, 2002.
"Vidya, Veda, and Varna: The Influence of Religion and Caste on Education in Rural India,"
ICER Working Papers
32-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Vani Borooah & Sriya Iyer, 2005. "Vidya, Veda, and Varna: The influence of religion and caste on education in rural India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(8), pages 1369-1404.
- Phipps, Shelley, 2002. "The Well-Being of Young Canadian Children in International Perspective: A Functionings Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(4), pages 493-515, December.
- David M. Blau, 1999. "The Effect Of Income On Child Development," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 261-276, May.
- Zellner, Arnold, 1970. "Estimation of Regression Relationships Containing Unobservable Independent Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(3), pages 441-54, October.
- Caldwell, John C., 1993. "Health transition: The cultural, social and behavioural determinants of health in the Third World," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 125-135, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpc:wplist:wp05_06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.