What money buys: clients of street sex workers in the US
The article presents a review of current theoretical and empirical approaches to sex work, followed by the presentation of an original theoretical framework (Della Giusta et al., 2006), which is tested with an econometric model of the characteristics of demand for sex services by a sample of clients of street sex workers in the US. We present findings in relation to stigma and the relationship between paid and unpaid sex that corroborate our model's hypotheses and are in line with findings from other empirical studies. Furthermore, we identify in our sample two diametrically opposite profiles: one for clients whom we label 'experimenters', and one for more experienced ones that we name 'regulars', we also estimate attitudes toward risk, and draw implications in terms of both policy and future theoretical and empirical research.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel Cameron & Alan Collins & Neill Thew, 1999.
"Prostitution services: an exploratory empirical analysis,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(12), pages 1523-1529.
- Collins, A. & Cameron, S. & Thew, N., 1998. "Prostitution Services : An Exploratory Empirical Analysis," Papers 111, Portsmouth University - Department of Economics.
- Cameron, S. & Collins, A., 2001.
"Estimates of a Model of Male Participation in the Market for Female Heterosexual Prostitution Services,"
139, Portsmouth University - Department of Economics.
- Samuel Cameron & Alan Collins, 2003. "Estimates of a Model of Male Participation in the Market for Female Heterosexual Prostitution Services," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 271-288, November.
- Nussbaum, Martha C, 1998. ""Whether from Reason or Prejudice": Taking Money for Bodily Services," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 693-724, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:41:y:2009:i:18:p:2261-2277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.