Citation Success: Evidence from Economic History Journal Publications
This study examines the determinants of citation success among authors who recently published their work in economic history journals. We find that full professors, authors from non-economic history departments, and authors working in Anglo-Saxon countries are all more likely to get cited than others whereas affiliation at a top-ranked university has no seeming effect. A number of bibliometric features like article length and number of co-authors also matter for citation success. Our most novel finding is that active diffusion of one’s research, e.g., academic presentations (at conferences, workshops or seminars) or online publication of working papers, has a first-order impact on subsequent citation success.
|Date of creation:||04 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:||20 Oct 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Aizenman & Kenneth Kletzer, 2011.
"The life cycle of scholars and papers in economics - the 'citation death tax',"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(27), pages 4135-4148.
- Joshua Aizenman & Kenneth Kletzer, 2008. "The Life Cycle of Scholars and Papers in Economics -- the "Citation Death Tax"," NBER Working Papers 13891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baten, Joerg & Julia, Muschallik, 2011. "On the status and the future of economic history in the world," MPRA Paper 34704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hendrik P. van Dalen & Arjo Klamer, 2005. "Is Science A Case of Wasteful Competition?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 395-414, 07.
- Heinrich W. Ursprung & Markus Zimmer, 2007. "Who is the "Platz-Hirsch" of the German Economics Profession? A Citation Analysis," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 227(2), pages 187-208, April.
- Dave Colander, 2008.
"The Making of a Global European Economist,"
Middlebury College Working Paper Series
0809, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Waldenström, Daniel, 2007.
"How Should Research Performance be Measured? A Study of Swedish Economists,"
Working Paper Series
712, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 08 Nov 2007.
- Magnus Henrekson & Daniel Waldenström, 2011. "How Should Research Performance Be Measured? A Study Of Swedish Economists," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(6), pages 1139-1156, December.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Waldenström, Daniel, 2008. "How Should Research Performance Be Measured? A Study of Swedish Economists," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 693, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Fishback, Price V., 2012. "Editors' Notes," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 72(01), pages 252-260, March.
- Thomas Mayer, 2004. "Dry Holes in Economic Research: Comment," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 621-626, November.
- Tom Coupé, 2004. "What Do We Know about Ourselves? on the Economics of Economics," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 197-215, 05.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2010.
"An Updated Ranking of Academic Journals in Economics,"
Working Paper Series
15_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2011. "An updated ranking of academic journals in economics," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(4), pages 1525-1538, November.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2010. "An Updated Ranking of Academic Journals in Economics," Working Papers 1009, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Christiana E. Hilmer & Jayson L. Lusk, 2009. "Determinants of Citations to the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Journals," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 677-694, December.
- Gianfranco Di Vaio & Jacob Louis Weisdorf, 2010.
"Ranking economic history journals: a citation-based impact-adjusted analysis,"
Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History,
Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 4(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Gianfranco Di Vaio & Jacob Weisdorf, 2009. "Ranking Economic History Journals: A Citation-Based Impact-Adjusted Analysis," Discussion Papers 09-11, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Pierre Azoulay & Joshua S. Graff Zivin & Jialan Wang, 2008.
NBER Working Papers
14577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Whaples, Robert, 2002. "The Supply And Demand Of Economic History: Recent Trends In The Journal Of Economic History," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 62(02), pages 524-532, June.
- Laband, David N & Piette, Michael J, 1994. "Favoritism versus Search for Good Papers: Empirical Evidence Regarding the Behavior of Journal Editors," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 194-203, February.
- Laband, David N & Piette, Michael J, 1994. "The Relative Impacts of Economics Journals: 1970-1990," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 640-66, June.
- Laband, David N, 1990. "Is There Value-Added from the Review Process in Economics? Preliminary Evidence from Authors," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 341-52, May.
- Laband, David N & Tollison, Robert D & Karahan, Gokhan R, 2002. "Quality Control in Economics," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 315-34.
- Bruno S. Frey & Reiner Eichenberger & Rene L. Frey, 2009.
"Editorial Ruminations: Publishing Kyklos,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2009-01, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- David N. Laband & Robert D. Tollison, 2000. "Intellectual Collaboration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 632-661, June.
- Howard Bodenhorn, 2003. "Economic Scholarship at Elite Liberal Arts Colleges: A Citation Analysis with Rankings," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 341-359, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0819. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.