Evaluation of Swedish youth labour market programmes
This paper evaluates and compares the direct effects of two Swedish active labour market programmes for youth, namely youth practice and labour market training. Effectiveness of the programmes is measured by subsequent annual earnings, re-employment probability, and probability of regular education. A non-parametric matching approach based on conditional independence assumption is applied to estimate the average program effects. Moreover, the results obtained by matching are compared to results from standard linear regression and probit models, and a polychotomous selectivity model with unobserved individual heterogeneity. The results indicate either zero or negative effects of both programmes in the short run, whereas the long-run effects are mainly zero or slightly positive. The results suggest furthermore that youth practice was better than labour training. However, there is much heterogeneity in the estimated treatment effects among the individuals.
|Date of creation:||11 Apr 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Human Resoruces, 2003, pages 891-927.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edin, P-A. & Holmlund, B., 1990. "Unemployment, Vacancies And Labour Market Programmes: Swedish Evidence," Papers 1990j, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Lechner, Michael, 1999. "Earnings and Employment Effects of Continuous Off-the-Job Training in East Germany after Unification," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 74-90, January.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Guido W. Imbens, 1999. "The Role of the Propensity Score in Estimating Dose-Response Functions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John P Martin, 1998.
"What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence from OECD Countries' Experiences,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Guy Debelle & Jeff Borland (ed.), Unemployment and the Australian Labour Market
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- John P. Martin, 1998. "What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence From OECD Countries' Experiences," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 1998.
"Estimating the Labor Market Impact of Voluntary Military Service Using Social Security Data on Military Applicants,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 249-288, March.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 1995. "Estimating the Labor Market Impact of Voluntary Military Service Using Social Security Data on Military Applicants," NBER Working Papers 5192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James J. Heckman & Jeffrey A. Smith, 1995. "Assessing the Case for Social Experiments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 85-110, Spring.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra, 1998. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 261-94, April.
- Edin, P.-A. & Forslund, A. & Holmlund, B., 1998.
"The Swedish Youth Labor Market in Boom and Depression,"
1998-3, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Per-Anders Edin & Anders Forslund & Bertil Holmlund, 2000. "The Swedish Youth Labor Market in Boom and Depression," NBER Chapters, in: Youth Employment and Joblessness in Advanced Countries, pages 357-380 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Forslund, Anders & Holmlund, Bertil, 1998. "The Swedish Youth Labor Market in Boom and Depression," Working Paper Series 1998:3, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James J. & Robb, Richard Jr., 1985. "Alternative methods for evaluating the impact of interventions : An overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 239-267.
- Schmertmann, Carl P., 1994. "Selectivity bias correction methods in polychotomous sample selection models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 101-132.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2000_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margareta Wicklander)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.