Does comprehensive education work for the long-term unemployed
This paper evaluates the effects of comprehensive adult education on wage earnings of the long-term unemployed, an essentially unexplored issue. We use register data pertaining to a large sample of long-term unemployed persons in Sweden who either enrolled in the comprehensive adult education program, participated in labour market training, or remained in open unemployment. We find that individuals with more than one semester at upper secondary level of the comprehensive adult education program experienced an increase in annual wage earnings compared with those who remained in open unemployment. For those studying at the compulsory level we find no significant effects. The estimated effects were overall negative in relation to vocational labour market training.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003.
"Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?,"
University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers
20035, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005. "Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Stenberg, Anders, 2003. "An Evaluation of the Adult Education Initiative Relative Labor Market Training," Umeå Economic Studies 609, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Black, Dan A. & Smith, J.A.Jeffrey A., 2004.
"How robust is the evidence on the effects of college quality? Evidence from matching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 99-124.
- Dan A. Black & Jeffrey Smith, 2003. "How Robust is the Evidence on the Effects of College Quality? Evidence From Matching," University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers 20033, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- Ashenfelter, Orley C, 1978. "Estimating the Effect of Training Programs on Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 47-57, February.
- Jacobson, Louis & LaLonde, Robert J. & Sullivan, Daniel G., 2004.
"Estimating the Returns to Community College Schooling for Displaced Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1017, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jacobson, Louis & LaLonde, Robert & G. Sullivan, Daniel, 2005. "Estimating the returns to community college schooling for displaced workers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 271-304.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 2002. "Estimating the returns to community college schooling for displaced workers," Working Paper Series WP-02-31, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Francis Vella, 1998. "Estimating Models with Sample Selection Bias: A Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 127-169.
- Louis G. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1997. "The return from community college schooling for displaced workers," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues WP-97-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Larsson, Laura, 2000. "Evaluation of Swedish Youth Labour Market Programmes," Working Paper Series 2000:6, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Isacsson, Gunnar, 1999. "Estimates of the return to schooling in Sweden from a large sample of twins," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 471-489, November.
- Puhani, Patrick A, 2000. " The Heckman Correction for Sample Selection and Its Critique," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Andrew Jenkins, 2004. "Women, Lifelong Learning and Employment," CEE Discussion Papers 0039, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 1995.
"Estimating the Labor Market Impact of Voluntary Military Service Using Social Security Data on Military Applicants,"
NBER Working Papers
5192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 1998. "Estimating the Labor Market Impact of Voluntary Military Service Using Social Security Data on Military Applicants," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 249-288, March.
- Andrew Jenkins & Anna Vignoles & Alison Wolf & Fernando Galindo-Rueda, 2003. "The determinants and labour market effects of lifelong learning," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(16), pages 1711-1721.
- Larsson, L., 2000. "Evaluation of Swedish Youth Labour Market Programmes," Papers 2000:6, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Larsson, Laura, 2000. "Evaluation of Swedish youth labour market programmes," Working Paper Series 2000:1, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Grubb, W. Norton, 2002. "Learning and earning in the middle, part I: national studies of pre-baccalaureate education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 299-321, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:labeco:v:15:y:2008:i:1:p:54-67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.