The Swedish Youth Labor Market in Boom and Depression
This paper is concerned with the labor market experience of Swedish youths during the 1980s and the 1990s. The first objective is to portray early economic attainment among young Swedes. The second objective of the paper is to examine the impact of labor market programs on youth employment. We find that the slump in the 1990s has been associated with dramatic increases in youth unemployment and youth participation in active labor market programs. The impact on unemployment rates by age and education has been roughly proportional, however. The evolution of employment and unemployment does not offer much ground for the popular hypothesis that the recent rise in unemployment is driven by large and pervasive shifts in the demand for labor by skill attributable to technological innovation. The employment crisis has been met by an unprecedented increase in active labor market programs, in large part targeted at unemployed youths. There is a risk that these programs may crowd out regular youth employment, a hypothesis that is supported in our empirical investigation of regular youth employment in Swedish municipalities.
|Date of creation:||24 Aug 1998|
|Publication status:||Published in Youth Employment and Unemployment in Advanced Countries, Blanchflower, D., Freeman, R. (eds.), 2000, pages 357-380, University of Chicago Press.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Uppsala University, P. O. Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skedinger, Per, 1995. "Employment Policies and Displacement in the Youth Labor Market," Working Paper Series 432, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Calmfors, Lars & Skedinger, Per, 1995.
"Does Active Labour-Market Policy Increase Employment? Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 91-109, Spring.
- Calmfors, Lars & Skedinger, Per, 1995. "Does Active Labor Market Policy Increase Employment? Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series 429, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Calmfors, L. & Skedinger, P., 1995. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Increase Employment? - Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden," Papers 590, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Chinhui Juhn & Kevin M. Murphy & Robert H. Topel, 1991. "Why Has the Natural Rate of Unemployment Increased over Time?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 75-142.
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:432 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:429 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uunewp:1998_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.