Why Do Some Multinational Corporations Relocate Their Headquarters Overseas?
This paper examines the decision by a multinational corporation (MNC) to relocate its business unit and/or corporate HQ overseas. We argue that business unit HQs move overseas in response to changes in the internal configuration of their unit’s activities and the demands of the product markets in which they operate, whereas corporate HQs move overseas is response to the demands of external stakeholders, in particular global financial markets and shareholders. Using data on 125 business unit HQs and 35 corporate HQs, we test and find support for these arguments. The research highlights important differences between corporate- and business-level strategy, and it suggests ways in which the theory of the MNC needs to be reconsidered.
|Date of creation:||28 Mar 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shahrokh M Saudagaran & Gary C Biddle, 1995. "Foreign Listing Location: A Study of MNCs and Stock Exchanges in Eight Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 26(2), pages 319-341, June.
- Ghosh Chinmoy & Rodriguez Mauricio & Sirmans C. F., 1995. "Gains from Corporate Headquarters Relocations: Evidence from the Stock Market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 291-311, November.
- Masaaki Kotabe & Glenn S Omura, 1989. "Sourcing Strategies of European and Japanese Multinationals: A Comparison," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 20(1), pages 113-130, March.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2002.
"The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2651-2694, December.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Roell & Joseph Zechner, 1999. "The Geography of Equity Listing; Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CSEF Working Papers 28, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Pagano, Marco & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001. "The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2000.
"Investor protection and corporate governance,"
29408126, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, "undated". "Investor Protection and Corporate Governance," Working Paper 19455, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Schleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2001. "Investor Protection and Corporate Governance," Working Paper Series rwp01-017, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Kasim L. Alli & Gabriel G. Ramirez & Kenneth Yung, 1991. "Corporate Headquarters Relocation: Evidence from the Capital Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 583-600.
- Julian Birkinshaw & Omar Toulan & David Arnold, 2001. "Global Account Management in Multinational Corporations: Theory and Evidence," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(2), pages 231-248, June.
- Foss, Nicolai J, 1997. "On the Rationales of Corporate Headquarters," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 313-338, March.
- Goold, Michael & Pettifer, David & Young, David, 2001. "Redesigning the corporate centre," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 83-91, February.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987.
"A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information,"
1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987. " A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Noronha, Gregory M. & Sarin, Atulya & Saudagaran, Shahrokh M., 1996. "Testing for micro-structure effects of international dual listings using intraday data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 965-983, July.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises," Working Papers 2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Stephen R. Foerster & G. Andrew Karolyi, 1999. "The Effects of Market Segmentation and Investor Recognition on Asset Prices: Evidence from Foreign Stocks Listing in the United States," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 981-1013, 06.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, December.
- Yip, George S. & Montgomery, David B., 2000. "The Challenge of Global Customer Management," Research Papers 1619, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Franck Bancel & Cusha Mittoo, 2001. "European Managerial Perceptions of the Net Benefits of Foreign Stock Listings," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(2), pages 213-236.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-369, June.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 1992. "A Note on the Transnational Solution and the Transaction Cost Theory of Multinational Strategic Management," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 23(4), pages 761-771, December.
- Torben Pedersen & Steen Thomsen, 1997. "European Patterns of Corporate Ownership: A Twelve-Country Study," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 28(4), pages 759-778, December.
- Baaij, Marc & Van Den Bosch, Frans & Volberda, Henk, 2004. "The International Relocation of Corporate Centres:: Are Corporate Centres Sticky?," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 141-149, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.