Performance, diversity, and multiplicity of foreign cross-listing portfolios
We analyze an underrepresented area in the international business (IB) and finance literatures: the simultaneous effects of multinational enterprises' (MNEs) portfolios of foreign cross-listings' and firm performance. We build on the literatures of multinationality-performance in the IB field and foreign cross-listings in the international finance domain. We advance a theoretical framework of the simultaneous relationships among multiplicity of MNEs' foreign cross-listings (number of foreign stock exchanges), diversity (dispersion of the host countries' quality of institutions) of MNEs' foreign cross-listings, and firm performance (ROA). The simultaneous equations model results based on a sample of 330 Triad MNEs during 2004-2006 provide fresh insights for future theory development and managerial practice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Litvak, Kate, 2007. "The effect of the Sarbanes-Oxley act on non-US companies cross-listed in the US," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 195-228, June.
- Boubakri, Narjess & Cosset, Jean-Claude & Guedhami, Omrane, 2005. "Liberalization, corporate governance and the performance of privatized firms in developing countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 767-790, October.
- Hau, Harald, 2001. "Geographic patterns of trading profitability in Xetra," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 757-769, May.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987.
" A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987. "A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information," Working papers 1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Susanto Basu & John Fernald & Miles Kimball, 2004.
"Are Technology Improvements Contractionary?,"
NBER Working Papers
10592, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Miles S. Kimball, 1998. "Are technology improvements contractionary?," International Finance Discussion Papers 625, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Miles S. Kimball, 2004. "Are technology improvements contractionary?," Working Paper Series WP-04-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Susanto Basu & John Fernald & Miles Kimball, 2002. "Are Technology Improvements Contractionary?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1986, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Evangelos Benos & Michael S. Weisbach, 2004.
"Private Benefits and Cross-Listings in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
10224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benos, Evangelos & Weisbach, Michael S., 2004. "Private benefits and cross-listings in the United States," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 217-240, June.
- René M. Stulz, 1999. "Golbalization, Corporate Finance, And The Cost Of Capital," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 12(3), pages 8-25.
- Stapleton, R C & Subrahmanyam, Marti G, 1977. "Market Imperfections, Capital Market Equilibrium and Corporation Finance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 307-19, May.
- Shahrokh M Saudagaran & Gary C Biddle, 1995. "Foreign Listing Location: A Study of MNCs and Stock Exchanges in Eight Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 319-341, June.
- Valero, Magali & Lee, Hei Wai & Cai, Nianyun (Kelly), 2009. "Cross-listing pursuit of unseasoned foreign firms after going public in the U.S," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(8), pages 797-804, August.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, .
"What Works in Securities Laws?,"
19491, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Faff, Robert W. & Hodgson, Allan & Saudagaran, Shahrokh, 2002. "International cross-listings towards more liquid markets: the impact on domestic firms," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4-5), pages 365-390.
- Baker, H. Kent & Nofsinger, John R. & Weaver, Daniel G., 2002. "International Cross-Listing and Visibility," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(03), pages 495-521, September.
- Gilmore, Claire G. & McManus, Ginette M. & Tezel, Ahmet, 2005. "Portfolio allocations and the emerging equity markets of Central Europe," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 287-300, July.
- McKnight, Phillip J. & Weir, Charlie, 2009. "Agency costs, corporate governance mechanisms and ownership structure in large UK publicly quoted companies: A panel data analysis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 139-158, May.
- Chao, Mike Chen-Ho & Kumar, Vikas, 2010. "The impact of institutional distance on the international diversity-performance relationship," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 93-103, January.
- Farok J Contractor & Sumit K Kundu & Chin-Chun Hsu, 2003. "A three-stage theory of international expansion: the link between multinationality and performance in the service sector," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 5-18, January.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- William A. Reese, Jr. & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001.
"Protection of Minority Shareholder Interests, Cross-listings in the United States, and Subsequent Equity Offerings,"
NBER Working Papers
8164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reese, William Jr. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2002. "Protection of minority shareholder interests, cross-listings in the United States, and subsequent equity offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 65-104, October.
- Lehn, Kenneth & Poulsen, Annette, 1989. " Free Cash Flow and Stockholder Gains in Going Private Transactions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 771-87, July.
- Doidge, Craig, 2004. "U.S. cross-listings and the private benefits of control: evidence from dual-class firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 519-553, June.
- Witold J Henisz, 2003. "The power of the Buckley and Casson thesis: the ability to manage institutional idiosyncrasies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 173-184, March.
- Ahmed, Kamran & Kim, Jae H. & Henry, Darren, 2006. "International cross-listings by Australian firms: A stochastic dominance analysis of equity returns," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 494-508, December.
- Berry, Charles H, 1971. "Corporate Growth and Diversification," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(2), pages 371-84, October.
- David M Reeb & Chuck C Y Kwok & H Young Baek, 1998. "Systematic Risk of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 263-279, June.
- David W Loree & Stephen E Guisinger, 1995. "Policy and Non-Policy Determinants of U.S. Equity Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 281-299, June.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004.
"A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises," Working Papers 2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Shahrokh M Saudagaran, 1988. "An Empirical Study of Selected Factors Influencing the Decision to List on Foreign Stock Exchanges," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 101-127, March.
- N/A, 2007. "At a Glance," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 200(1), pages 2-3, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:19:y:2010:i:6:p:531-547. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.