How Can Decision Making Be Improved?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Kahneman & Dan Lovallo, 1993. "Timid Choices and Bold Forecasts: A Cognitive Perspective on Risk Taking," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(1), pages 17-31, January.
- Cass R. Sunstein & Richard H. Thaler, 2003. "Libertarian paternalism is not an oxymoron," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 48(Jun).
- Richard H. Thaler & Cass R. Sunstein, 2003. "Libertarian Paternalism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 175-179, May.
- Shlomo Benartzi & Richard Thaler, 2007. "Heuristics and Biases in Retirement Savings Behavior," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 81-104, Summer.
- Shiv, Baba & Fedorikhin, Alexander, 1999. "Heart and Mind in Conflict: The Interplay of Affect and Cognition in Consumer Decision Making," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 278-292, December.
- Thompson, Leigh & Gentner, Dedre & Loewenstein, Jeffrey, 2000. "Avoiding Missed Opportunities in Managerial Life: Analogical Training More Powerful Than Individual Case Training," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 60-75, May.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Woo, Carolyn Y. & Dunkelberg, William C., 1988. "Entrepreneurs' perceived chances for success," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 97-108.
- Katherine L. Milkman & Todd Rogers & Max H. Bazerman, 2007. "Highbrow Films Gather Dust: A Study of Dynamic Inconsistency and Online DVD Rentals," Harvard Business School Working Papers 07-099, Harvard Business School, revised Apr 2008.
- Ritov, Ilana & Baron, Jonathan, 1992. "Status-Quo and Omission Biases," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 49-61, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ilan Yaniv & Shoham Choshen-Hillel, 2012. "When guessing what another person would say is better than giving your own opinion: Using perspective-taking to improve advice-taking," Discussion Paper Series dp622, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Christine Ohlert & Barbara Weißenberger, 2015. "Beating the base-rate fallacy: an experimental approach on the effectiveness of different information presentation formats," Journal of Management Control: Zeitschrift für Planung und Unternehmenssteuerung, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 51-80, April.
- Basel, Jörn S. & Brühl, Rolf, 2013. "Rationality and dual process models of reasoning in managerial cognition and decision making," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 745-754.
- James D. Hess & Arnold C. Bacigalupo, 2013. "Applying Emotional Intelligence Skills to Leadership and Decision Making in Non-Profit Organizations," Administrative Sciences, MDPI, vol. 3(4), pages 1-19, November.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Eiichi Tomiura & Banri Ito & Hiroshi Mukunoki & Ryuhei Wakasugi, 2016. "Individual Characteristics, Behavioral Biases, and Trade Policy Preferences: Evidence from a Survey in Japan," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 1081-1095, November.
- Geiger, Martin & Luhan, Wolfgang J. & Scharler, Johann, 2016.
"When do fiscal consolidations lead to consumption booms? Lessons from a laboratory experiment,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 1-20.
- Martin Geiger & Wolfgang Luhan & Johann Scharler, 2015. "When do Fiscal Consolidations Lead to Consumption Booms? Lessons from a Laboratory Experiment," Working Papers 2015-06, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Martin Binder & Leonhard K. Lades, 2015.
Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(1), pages 3-27, February.
- Martin Binder & Leonhard K. Lades, 2013. "Autonomy-enhancing paternalism," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2013-04, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Martin Binder & Leonhard K. Lades, 2014. "Autonomy-enhancing Paternalism," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_800, Levy Economics Institute.
- Binder, Martin & Lades, Leonhard, 2014. "Autonomy-enhancing paternalism," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2014-09, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Binder, Martin & Lades, Leonhard K, 2014. "Autonomy-enhancing paternalism," SIRE Discussion Papers 2015-02, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Siebert, Johannes Ulrich & Kunz, Reinhard E. & Rolf, Philipp, 2021. "Effects of decision training on individuals’ decision-making proactivity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 294(1), pages 264-282.
- Nicolas Aubert & Thomas Rapp, 2010.
"Employee's investment behaviors in a company based savings plan,"
Finance, Presses universitaires de Grenoble, vol. 31(1), pages 5-32.
- Nicolas Aubert & Thomas Rapp, 2010. "Employees' investment behaviors in a company based savings plan," Post-Print halshs-00454018, HAL.
- Leonardo Ivarola & Gustavo Marqués, 2012. "Behavioural Procedural Models – a multipurpose mechanistic account," The Journal of Philosophical Economics, Bucharest Academy of Economic Studies, The Journal of Philosophical Economics, vol. 5(2), pages 84-108, May.
- Forbes, James & Kara, S. Murat, 2010. "Confidence mediates how investment knowledge influences investing self-efficacy," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 435-443, June.
- Rogers, Todd & Bazerman, Max H., 2008. "Future lock-in: Future implementation increases selection of 'should' choices," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-20, May.
- Binder, Martin & Lades, Leonhard K, 2014. "Autonomy-enhancing paternalism," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 2015-02, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Brown, Jeffrey R. & Farrell, Anne M. & Weisbenner, Scott J., 2016.
"Decision-making approaches and the propensity to default: Evidence and implications,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(3), pages 477-495.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Anne M. Farrell & Scott J. Weisbenner, 2015. "Decision-Making Approaches and the Propensity to Default: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 20949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yury Shevchenko & Bettina von Helversen & Benjamin Scheibehenne, 2014. "Change and status quo in decisions with defaults: The effect of incidental emotions depends on the type of default," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 9(3), pages 287-296, May.
- Just, David R. & Gabrielyan, Gnel, 2018. "Influencing the food choices of SNAP consumers: Lessons from economics, psychology and marketing," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 79(C), pages 309-317.
- Joseph,George & Ayling,Sophie Charlotte Emi & Miquel-Florensa,Pepita & Bejarano,Hernán D. & Cardona,Alejandra Quevedo, 2021.
"Behavioral Insights in Infrastructure Sectors : A Survey,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
9704, The World Bank.
- George Joseph & Sophie Ayling & Pepita Miquel-Florensa & Hernán D. Bejarano & Alejandra Quevedo Cardona, 2022. "Behavioral Insights in Infrastructure Sectors: A Survey," Working Papers 119, Red Nacional de Investigadores en Economía (RedNIE).
- Reyers, Michelle & van Schalkwyk, Cornelis Hendrik & Gouws, Daniël Gerhardus, 2015. "Rational and behavioural predictors of pre-retirement cash-outs," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 23-33.
- van Dalen, H.P. & Henkens, K. & Koedijk, C.G. & Slager, A.M.H., 2010.
"Decision Making in the Pension Fund Board Room : An Experiment with Dutch Pension Fund Trustees,"
2010-18, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van Dalen, H.P. & Henkens, K. & Koedijk, C.G. & Slager, A.M.H., 2010. "Decision Making in the Pension Fund Board Room : An Experiment with Dutch Pension Fund Trustees," Other publications TiSEM 97ae7b96-2f6d-4cec-966f-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eric Johnson & Suzanne Shu & Benedict Dellaert & Craig Fox & Daniel Goldstein & Gerald Häubl & Richard Larrick & John Payne & Ellen Peters & David Schkade & Brian Wansink & Elke Weber, 2012. "Beyond nudges: Tools of a choice architecture," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 487-504, June.
- Cardella, Eric & Kalenkoski, Charlene M. & Parent, Michael, 2018. "Less Is Not More: Information Presentation Complexity and 401(k) Planning Choices," IZA Discussion Papers 11538, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Christian König-Kersting & Johannes Lohse & Anna Louisa Merkel, 2020. "Active and Passive Risk-Taking," Working Papers 2020-04, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Cappelletti, Dominique & Mittone, Luigi & Ploner, Matteo, 2014. "Are default contributions sticky? An experimental analysis of defaults in public goods provision," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 331-342.
- Altman, Morris, 2012. "Implications of behavioural economics for financial literacy and public policy," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 677-690.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CBA-2008-06-27 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CBE-2008-06-27 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-KNM-2008-06-27 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-UPT-2008-06-27 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hbs:wpaper:08-102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/harbsus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: HBS (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/harbsus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.