Does Farm and Processing Industry Structure Matter for Price Transmission? Some Evidence From Transition Countries: A Comparison of Dairy Sectors in Hungary and Poland
Rapid and thorough changes have recently taken place in dairy supply chain in the whole Central and Eastern Europe. Growing concerns have been expressed that these changes may negatively affect farmers' relative position towards downstream industry, due to market power exercised by the latter. In response to this, the present paper aims to investigate the price transmission mechanism in two countries from the region, namely Poland and Hungary and contrast the results with dairy market organisations specific for these countries. Using cointegrated vector autoregression and controlling for potential structural breaks, it is shown that Polish milk prices, as opposed to Hungarian ones, are characterised by short- and long-term asymmetries. We discuss a number of potential explanations supporting the empirical results. We consider, among others, differences between the dairy chain structures and the role of FDI.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+36-1) 309-2652
Fax: (36-1) 319-3136
Web page: http://econ.core.hu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S McCorriston & CW Morgan & AJ Rayner, 2001. "Price transmission: the interaction between market power and returns to scale," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 143-159, June.
- Pieniadz, Agata & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2006. "Explaining Quality Differences at the Procurement Stage in the Polish Milk Sector," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25315, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lajos Zoltán Bakucs & Imre Fert�, 2005. "Marketing margins and price transmission on the Hungarian pork meat market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 273-286.
- Teresa Serra & Barry Goodwin, 2003.
"Price transmission and asymmetric adjustment in the Spanish dairy sector,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1889-1899.
- Serra, Teresa & Goodwin, Barry K., 2002. "Price Transmission And Asymmetric Adjustment In The Spanish Dairy Sector," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19622, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Ferto, Imre, 2008. "Price transmission on the Hungarian milk market," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44175, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alexandre Gohin & Hervé Guyomard, 2000. "Measuring Market Power for Food Retail Activities: French Evidence," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 181-195.
- S. McCorriston & C. W. Morgan & A. J. Rayner, 1998. "Processing Technology, Market Power and Price Transmission," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 185-201.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Ferto, Imre, 2007. "Spatial Integration On The Hungarian Milk Market," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7832, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Daniel A. Lass, 2005. "Asymmetric response of retail milk prices in the northeast revisited," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 493-508.
- von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 1998. "Estimating Asymmetric Price Transmission with the Error Correction Representation: An application to the German Pork Market," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 1-18.
- Azzeddine M. Azzam, 1999. "Asymmetry and Rigidity in Farm-Retail Price Transmission," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 525-533.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:has:discpr:1212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.