Climate policies in a second-best world- a case study on India
The aim of this article is to analyze the potential for synergies between climate policies and development in a case study on India focusing on the power sector sub-optimalities. To do so, we use IMACLIM-R, a dynamic recursive energy-economy model that represents a second best world with market imperfections and short-run adjustments constraints along a long-term growth path. The analysis suggests (i) global carbon pricing induces prohibitive macroeconomic costs for the Indian economy, even in the case of significant financial transfers associated with a global cap-and-trade system and a "Contraction and Convergence in 2100" allocation scheme; (ii) the most cost efficient climate policies are not uniform carbon pricing only. The implementation of domestic policies suited to the national context, for instance targeting sub-optimalities in the power sector for India, allows reducing significantly the macroeconomic costs induced by international mitigation policies.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Energy Policy, Elsevier, 2010, 38 (3), pp.1519-1528. <10.1016/j.enpol.2009.11.035>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00724498|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandrine Mathy & Céline Guivarch, 2009.
"What if energy decoupling of emerging economies were not so spontaneous ? An illustrative example on India,"
CIRED Working Papers
- Sandrine Mathy & Celine Guivarch, 2009. "What if energy decoupling of emerging economies were not so spontaneous? An illustrative example on India," Post-Print halshs-00366274, HAL.
- Olivier Sassi & Renaud Crassous & Jean-Charles Hourcade & Vincent Gitz & Henri Waisman & Celine Guivarch, 2010. "IMACLIM-R: a modelling framework to simulate sustainable development pathways," International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 10(1/2), pages 5-24.
- Jean Charles Hourcade & Olivier Sassi & Renaud Crassous & Vincent Gitz & Henri Waisman & Céline Guivarch, 2010. "IMACLIM-R: a modelling framework to simulate sustainable development pathways," Post-Print hal-00566290, HAL.
- Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Contribution to the Theory of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 65-94.
- A. Bovenberg, 1999. "Green Tax Reforms and the Double Dividend: an Updated Reader's Guide," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 6(3), pages 421-443, August.
- Filippini, Massimo & Pachauri, Shonali, 2004. "Elasticities of electricity demand in urban Indian households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 429-436, February.
- Massimo Filippini & Shonali Pachauri, 2002. "Elasticities of Electricity Demand in Urban Indian Households," CEPE Working paper series 02-16, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- World Bank, 2001. "India : Power Supply to Agriculture, Volume 1. Summary Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15288, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2001. "India : Power Supply to Agriculture, Volume 2. Haryana Case Study," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15285, The World Bank.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/11049 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tongia, Rahul & Banerjee, Rangan, 1998. "Price of power in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 557-575, June.
- Guivarch, Céline & Hallegatte, Stéphane & Crassous, Renaud, 2009. "The resilience of the Indian economy to rising oil prices as a validation test for a global energy-environment-economy CGE model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4259-4266, November.
- Céline Guivarch & Stéphane Hallegatte & Renaud Crassous, 2008. "The Resilience of the Indian Economy to Rising Oil Prices as a Validation Test for a Global Energy-Environment-Economy CGE Model," CIRED Working Papers hal-00866431, HAL.
- Céline Guivarch & Stéphane Hallegatte & Renaud Crassous, 2009. "The Resilience of the Indian Economy to Rising Oil Prices as a Validation Test for a Global Energy-Environment-Economy CGE Model," Post-Print hal-00566971, HAL.
- Celine Guivarch, 2009. "The Resilience of the Indian Economy to Rising Oil Prices as a Validation Test for a Global Energy-Environment-Economy CGE Model," Post-Print halshs-00799441, HAL.
- Shukla, P. R., 1995. "Greenhouse gas models and abatement costs for developing nations : A critical assessment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 677-687, August.
- Bose, Ranjan Kumar & Shukla, Megha & Srivastava, Leena & Yaron, Gil, 2006. "Cost of unserved power in Karnataka, India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 1434-1447, August.
- Terry Barker & Jonathan Köhler & Marcelo Villena, 2002. "Costs of greenhouse gas abatement: meta-analysis of post-SRES mitigation scenarios," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Springer;Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 5(2), pages 135-166, June.
- Carol Corrado & Joe Mattey, 1997. "Capacity Utilization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 151-167, Winter.
- Lawrence Goulder, 1995. "Environmental taxation and the double dividend: A reader's guide," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 2(2), pages 157-183, August.
- van Ruijven, Bas & Urban, Frauke & Benders, René M.J. & Moll, Henri C. & van der Sluijs, Jeroen P. & de Vries, Bert & van Vuuren, Detlef P., 2008. "Modeling Energy and Development: An Evaluation of Models and Concepts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2801-2821, December.
- Robert M. Solow, 2000. "Toward a Macroeconomics of the Medium Run," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 151-158, Winter.
- Urban, F. & Benders, R.M.J. & Moll, H.C., 2007. "Modelling energy systems for developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3473-3482, June.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Frédéric Gonand & Pablo Antolín & Christine de la Maisonneuve & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2005. "The Impact of Ageing on Demand, Factor Markets and Growth," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 420, OECD Publishing.
- Thakur, Tripta & Deshmukh, S.G. & Kaushik, S.C., 2006. "Efficiency evaluation of the state owned electric utilities in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 2788-2804, November.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 2001. "The curse of natural resources," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 827-838, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)