Oil Price and the Dollar
The aim of this paper is to test whether a stable long-term relationship exists between oil prices and the US effective exchange rate, expressed in real terms. To this end, weproceed to a cointegration and causality study between the two variables. Our results indicate that causality runs from oil prices to the exchange rate and that the relationship between the two variables is transmitted through the US net foreign asset position.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Energy Studies Review, 2008, 15, 2, ?|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00353404/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Adrian W. Throop, 1993. "A generalized uncovered interest parity model of exchange rates," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 3-16.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Robert A. Amano & Simon van Norden, 1995.
"Exchange Rates and Oil Prices,"
- Amano, R. A. & van Norden, S., 1998.
"Oil prices and the rise and fall of the US real exchange rate,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 299-316, April.
- Robert A. Amano & Simon van Norden, 1995. "Oil Prices and the Rise and Fall of the U.S. Real Exchange Rate," International Finance 9502001, EconWPA.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 2003.
"A Proposed Monetary Regime for Small Commodity Exporters: Peg the Export Price ('PEP'),"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 61-88, Spring.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 2003. "A Proposed Monetary Regime for Small Commodity-Exporters: Peg the Export Price ("PEP")," Working Paper Series rwp03-003, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Dibooglu, Selahattin, 1996.
"Real disturbances, relative prices and purchasing power parity,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 69-87.
- Selahattin Dibooglu, 1995. "Real Disturbances, Relative Prices, and Purchasing Power Parity," International Finance 9502002, EconWPA.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00353404. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.