An exploration of institutional constraints on developing end-of-life product recovery capabilities
The aim of this paper is to explore the implications of the institutional environment on end-of-life product recovery capabilities of manufacturing firms. The research takes an exploratory case study approach focusing on three producers and two firms in each of their recovery supply chains. The research finds that process capabilities for product recovery are linked to, but distinct from, capabilities for managing the institutional environment. Coercive pressure to adopt product recovery constrains the choices firms can make in terms of network structure and the development of capabilities. Where manufactures face uncertainty in their institutional environments and adopt a mimetic approach, the outcomes can be suboptimal.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, 2008, 115 (2), pp.272-282. <10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.04.013>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00765366|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sharfman, Mark & Ellington, Rex T. & Meo, Mark, 1997. "The next step in becoming "green": Life-cycle oriented environmental management," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 13-22.
- Tang, Ou & Grubbstrom, Robert W., 2005. "Considering stochastic lead times in a manufacturing/remanufacturing system with deterministic demands and returns," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 285-300, January.
- Fleischmann, Mortiz & Krikke, Hans Ronald & Dekker, Rommert & Flapper, Simme Douwe P., 2000. "A characterisation of logistics networks for product recovery," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 653-666, December.
- Richter, Knut & Dobos, Imre, 1999. "Analysis of the EOQ repair and waste disposal problem with integer setup numbers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 463-467, March.
- Dobos, Imre, 2001. "Production strategies under environmental constraints: Continuous-time model with concave costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 323-330, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00765366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.