Preference Formation, School Dissatisfaction and Risky Behavior of Adolescents
School dissatisfaction is an important component of the subjective well-being of adolescents associated with "risky behavior" like drug use, unprotected sex, norm violations and illegal behavior. We extend the standard human capital model to joint human investment (education) and disinvestment (risky behavior). Based on this model, we develop a general dynamic framework to analyze the preference formation of children and behavioral change at school. Once an educational norm is set by adults, children can rationally deviate from this norm, while staying at school, after experiencing bad surprises like a school failure. The same type of dynamic equation can be used in a sequence to predict education, satisfaction with school, and a host of risky behavior. We test these assumptions with a unique panel data set on American adolescents attending middle or high school. School dissatisfaction is found to have a significant positive effect upon nine different types of risky behavior.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Journal of Economic Psychology, 2006, 27, 1, 165-183|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00203187|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- LEVY-GARBOUA, Louis & MONTMARQUETTE, Claude, 1997.
"Reported Job Satisfaction : What Does It Mean?,"
Cahiers de recherche
9705, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Levy-Garboua, Louis & Montmarquette, Claude, 2004. "Reported job satisfaction: what does it mean?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 135-151, April.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette & Véronique Simonnet, 2007. "Job Satisfaction and Quits," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00203158, HAL.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette, 1996.
"Cognition in Seemingly Riskless Choices and Judgments,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Levy-Garboua, L. & Montmarquette, C., 1995. "Cognition in Seemingly Riskless Choices and Judgments," Papiers du Laboratoire de MicroÃ©conomie AppliquÃ©e 1995-04, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Levy-Garboua, L. & Montmarquette, C., 1996. "Cognition in Seemingly Riskless Choices and Judgments," Cahiers de recherche 9602, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Levy-Garboua, L. & Montmarquette, C., 1996. "Cognition in Seemingly Riskless Choices and Judgments," Cahiers de recherche 9602, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J., 1996.
"Satisfaction and comparison income,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 359-381, September.
- Jacob M. Markman & Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain & Steven G. Rivkin, 2003.
"Does peer ability affect student achievement?,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 527-544.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette, 2004. "Reported job satisfaction : What does it mean?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00203197, HAL.
- Alejandro Gaviria & Steven Raphael, 2001. "School-Based Peer Effects And Juvenile Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 257-268, May.
- James J. Choi & David Laibson & Brigitte C. Madrian & Andrew Metrick, 2003. "Optimal Defaults," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 180-185, May.
- Levy-Garboua, Louis & Montmarquette, Claude & Simonnet, Veronique, 2007. "Job satisfaction and quits," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 251-268, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00203187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.