Remittances and economic growth: what channels of transmission? (In French)
This article examines the effect of remittances on economic growth, highlighting the main transmission channels. Using the SGMM method, estimates based on data from 27 developing countries show that remittances have a positive and significant effect on economic growth. The results don’t allow drawing any definitive conclusion concerning the investment channel, but confirm that the remittances speed up the accumulation of human capital, and thereby stimulate growth. The human capital channel has also an indirect effect on growth through investment.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)22.214.171.124.75
Fax: +33 (0)126.96.36.199.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agarwal, Reena & Horowitz, Andrew W., 2002. "Are International Remittances Altruism or Insurance? Evidence from Guyana Using Multiple-Migrant Households," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2033-2044, November.
- Niimi, Yoko & Ozden, Caglar, 2006. "Migration and remittances : causes and linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4087, The World Bank.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Artur Tamazian & Rup Singh, 2010.
"What is the Long Run Growth Rate of the East Asian Tigers?,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_04, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Artur Tamazian & Rup Singh, 2010. "What is the long run growth rate of the East Asian Tigers?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(12), pages 1205-1208.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Singh, Rup, 2009. "What is the Long Run Growth Rate of the East Asian Tigers?," MPRA Paper 12668, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Susan Pozo, 2006. "Migration, Remittances, and Male and Female Employment Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 222-226, May.
- Abdih, Yasser & Chami, Ralph & Dagher, Jihad & Montiel, Peter, 2012.
"Remittances and Institutions: Are Remittances a Curse?,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 657-666.
- Jihad Dagher & Ralph Chami & Peter J Montiel & Yasser Abdih, 2008. "Remittances and Institutions; Are Remittances a Curse?," IMF Working Papers 08/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Yasser Abdih & Jihad Dagher & Peter Montiel, 2010. "Remittances and Institutions: Are Remittances a Curse?," Department of Economics Working Papers 2010-13, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Yasser Abdih & Jihad Dagher & Peter Montiel, 2010. "Remittances and Institutions: Are Remittances a Curse?," Center for Development Economics 2010-08, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Faini, Riccardo, 2006.
"Remittances and the Brain Drain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5720, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Freund, Caroline & Spatafora, Nikola, 2005. "Remittances : transaction costs, determinants, and informal flows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3704, The World Bank.
- Rui Esteves & David Khoudour-Castéras, 2009.
"Remittances, Capital Flows and Financial Development during the Mass Migration Period, 1870-1913,"
2009-12, CEPII research center.
- Esteves, Rui & Khoudour-Castéras, David, 2011. "Remittances, capital flows and financial development during the mass migration period, 1870–1913," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 443-474, December.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Manon Domingues Dos Santos & Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2003. "Migration as a source of growth: The perspective of a developing country," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 16(1), pages 161-175, 02.
- Dean Yang, 2008.
"International Migration, Remittances and Household Investment: Evidence from Philippine Migrants' Exchange Rate Shocks,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 591-630, 04.
- Dean Yang, 2006. "International Migration, Remittances, and Household Investment: Evidence from Philippine Migrants' Exchange Rate Shocks," NBER Working Papers 12325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Kumar, Saten, 2009.
"Systems GMM estimates of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle for the OECD countries and tests for structural breaks,"
15312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Kumar, Saten, 2010. "Systems GMM estimates of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle for the OECD countries and tests for structural breaks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1269-1273, September.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Alexei P Kireyev, 2006. "The Macroeconomics of Remittances; The Case of Tajikistan," IMF Working Papers 06/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Catrinescu, Natalia & Leon-Ledesma, Miguel & Piracha, Matloob & Quillin, Bryce, 2006.
"Remittances, Institutions and Economic Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2139, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rao, B.Bhaskara & Hassan, Gazi, 2009.
"A panel data analysis of the growth effects of remittances,"
18021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Hassan, Gazi Mainul, 2011. "A panel data analysis of the growth effects of remittances," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 701-709.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Hassan, Gazi Mainul, 2011. "A panel data analysis of the growth effects of remittances," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 701-709, January.
- Marta Ruiz-Arranz & Paola Giuliano, 2005.
"Remittances, Financial Development, and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
05/234, International Monetary Fund.
- Frederic Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2005. "Migration du travail qualifie et formation de capital humain dans les pays en developpement : un modele stylise et une revue de la litterature recente," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 104, pages 5-26.
- Miguel León-Ledesma & Matloob Piracha, 2001. "International Migration and the Role of Remittances in Eastern Europe," Studies in Economics 0113, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Michael Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2004. "Modelling International Economic Integration: Patterns of Catching-up, Foreign Direct Investment and Migration Flows," wiiw Working Papers 27, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Tao Yang, Dennis, 2004.
"Education and allocative efficiency: household income growth during rural reforms in China,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 137-162, June.
- Yang, Dennis Tao, 2000. "Education and Allocative Efficiency: Household Income Growth during Rural Reforms in China," Working Papers 00-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Stark, Oded & Levhari, David, 1982. "On Migration and Risk in LDCs," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(1), pages 191-96, October.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Cynthia Bansak, 2006. "Money Transfers among Banked and Unbanked Mexican Immigrants," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 374–401, October.
- Kugler, Maurice & Rapoport, Hillel, 2007. "International labor and capital flows: Complements or substitutes?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 155-162, February.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & Pozo, Susan, 2004. "Workers' Remittances and the Real Exchange Rate: A Paradox of Gifts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1407-1417, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2011-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.