Remittances and economic growth: what channels of transmission? (In French)
This article examines the effect of remittances on economic growth, highlighting the main transmission channels. Using the SGMM method, estimates based on data from 27 developing countries show that remittances have a positive and significant effect on economic growth. The results don’t allow drawing any definitive conclusion concerning the investment channel, but confirm that the remittances speed up the accumulation of human capital, and thereby stimulate growth. The human capital channel has also an indirect effect on growth through investment.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)126.96.36.199.75
Fax: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catrinescu, Natalia & Leon-Ledesma, Miguel & Piracha, Matloob & Quillin, Bryce, 2006.
"Remittances, Institutions and Economic Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2139, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yasser Abdih & Jihad Dagher & Peter Montiel, 2010.
"Remittances and Institutions: Are Remittances a Curse?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2010-13, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Abdih, Yasser & Chami, Ralph & Dagher, Jihad & Montiel, Peter, 2012. "Remittances and Institutions: Are Remittances a Curse?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 657-666.
- Jihad Dagher & Ralph Chami & Peter Montiel & Yasser Abdih, 2008. "Remittances and Institutions; Are Remittances a Curse?," IMF Working Papers 08/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Yasser Abdih & Jihad Dagher & Peter Montiel, 2010. "Remittances and Institutions: Are Remittances a Curse?," Center for Development Economics 2010-08, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Giuliano, Paola & Ruiz-Arranz, Marta, 2006.
"Remittances, Financial Development, and Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2160, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dean Yang, 2008.
"International Migration, Remittances and Household Investment: Evidence from Philippine Migrants' Exchange Rate Shocks,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 591-630, 04.
- Dean Yang, 2006. "International Migration, Remittances, and Household Investment: Evidence from Philippine Migrants' Exchange Rate Shocks," NBER Working Papers 12325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Freund, Caroline & Spatafora, Nikola, 2005. "Remittances : transaction costs, determinants, and informal flows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3704, The World Bank.
- Alexei Kireyev, 2006. "The Macroeconomics of Remittances; The Case of Tajikistan," IMF Working Papers 06/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Cynthia Bansak, 2006. "Money Transfers among Banked and Unbanked Mexican Immigrants," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 374–401, October.
- Yang, Dennis Tao, 2000.
"Education and Allocative Efficiency: Household Income Growth during Rural Reforms in China,"
00-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Tao Yang, Dennis, 2004. "Education and allocative efficiency: household income growth during rural reforms in China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 137-162, June.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Singh, Rup, 2009.
"What is the Long Run Growth Rate of the East Asian Tigers?,"
12668, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Artur Tamazian & Rup Singh, 2010. "What is the long run growth rate of the East Asian Tigers?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(12), pages 1205-1208.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Artur Tamazian & Rup Singh, 2010. "What is the Long Run Growth Rate of the East Asian Tigers?," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2010_04, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Rui Esteves & David Khoudour-Castéras, 2009.
"Remittances, Capital Flows and Financial Development during the Mass Migration Period, 1870-1913,"
2009-12, CEPII research center.
- Esteves, Rui & Khoudour-Castéras, David, 2011. "Remittances, capital flows and financial development during the mass migration period, 1870–1913," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 443-474, December.
- Stark, Oded & Levhari, David, 1982. "On Migration and Risk in LDCs," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(1), pages 191-96, October.
- Riccardo Faini, 2006.
"Remittances and the brain drain,"
Development Working Papers
214, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Hassan, Gazi Mainul, 2011.
"A panel data analysis of the growth effects of remittances,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 701-709, January.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Hassan, Gazi Mainul, 2011. "A panel data analysis of the growth effects of remittances," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 701-709.
- Rao, B.Bhaskara & Hassan, Gazi, 2009. "A panel data analysis of the growth effects of remittances," MPRA Paper 18021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Frederic Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2005. "Migration du travail qualifie et formation de capital humain dans les pays en developpement : un modele stylise et une revue de la litterature recente," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 104, pages 5-26.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Susan Pozo, 2006. "Migration, Remittances, and Male and Female Employment Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 222-226, May.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Kumar, Saten, 2010.
"Systems GMM estimates of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle for the OECD countries and tests for structural breaks,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1269-1273, September.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Kumar, Saten, 2009. "Systems GMM estimates of the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle for the OECD countries and tests for structural breaks," MPRA Paper 15312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & Pozo, Susan, 2004. "Workers' Remittances and the Real Exchange Rate: A Paradox of Gifts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1407-1417, August.
- Manon Domingues Dos Santos & Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2003. "Migration as a source of growth: The perspective of a developing country," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 161-175, 02.
- Kugler, Maurice & Rapoport, Hillel, 2007. "International labor and capital flows: Complements or substitutes?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 155-162, February.
- Miguel León-Ledesma & Matloob Piracha, 2001. "International Migration and the Role of Remittances in Eastern Europe," Studies in Economics 0113, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Agarwal, Reena & Horowitz, Andrew W., 2002. "Are International Remittances Altruism or Insurance? Evidence from Guyana Using Multiple-Migrant Households," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2033-2044, November.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Michael Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2004. "Modelling International Economic Integration: Patterns of Catching-up, Foreign Direct Investment and Migration Flows," wiiw Working Papers 27, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Niimi, Yoko & Ozden, Caglar, 2006. "Migration and remittances : causes and linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4087, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2011-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.