Proximities in Modular Production: an Analysis of the Globalization of the Automotive Fisrt Tier Suppliers (In French)
This paper analyzes the strategies of internationalization of the automotive First Tier Suppliers (FTS). The developments of the modular production in the car industry induce an evolution of the vertical relationships which explain, at the same time, the interest and the forms of the internationalization of the FTS. From this point of view, the paper seeks to explain the patterns of internationalization adopted by the FTS by proposing a grid of reading which try to identify proximity request according to complexity and exclusivity of the interfirms’ interactions. The argumentation is articulated around three parts. The first reconsiders the transformations induced by modularization. The second presents some stylized facts on the internationalization of the FTS. The third part presents the analytic grid and draws the implications on the internationalization of the firms.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vincent Frigant, 2002.
"Geographical proximity and supplying relationships in modular production,"
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 742-755, December.
- Vincent Frigant & Yannick Lung, 2002. "Geographical Proximity and Supplying Relationships in Modular Production," Post-Print hal-00204245, HAL.
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2002. "Modular production networks: a new American model of industrial organization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 451-496, June.
- Vincent Frigant, 2005. "Vanishing hand versus Systems integrators - Une revue de la littérature sur l'impact organisationnel de la modularité," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 109(1), pages 29-52.
- Yannick Lung, 2004. "The changing geography of the European automobile system," International Journal of Automotive Technology and Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(2/3), pages 137-165.
- Yannick LUNG (GRES-IFReDE-E3i and GERPISA), 2003. "The changing geography of the European automobile system," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2003-10, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Yannick Lung, 2004. "The Changing Geography of the European Automotive System," Post-Print hal-00244036, HAL.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2003. "The vanishing hand: the changing dynamics of industrial capitalism," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 351-385, April.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2001. "The Vanishing Hand: the Changing Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism," Economic History 0110001, EconWPA.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2002. "The Vanishing Hand: the Changing Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism," Working papers 2002-21, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Dieter Ernst, 2002. "Global production networks and the changing geography of innovation systems. Implications for developing countries," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 497-523.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000. "Global Production Networks and the Changing Geography of Innovation Systems: Implications for Developing Countries," Economics Study Area Working Papers 09, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Jean-Louis Mucchielli & Habib Zitouna & Sylvie Montout, 2005. "Investissements directs étrangers, stratégie des multinationales et échanges inter et intrafirme(s)," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00310539, HAL.
- Langlois, Richard N., 2002. "Modularity in technology and organization," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 19-37, September.
- Yannick Lung, 2002. "Introduction," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 737-741, December.
- Vincent Frigant, 1996. "Les espaces du Juste-à-temps : une approche en termes de proximités," Post-Print hal-00669149, HAL.
- Vincent Frigant & Sophie Cancel & Christophe Carrincazeaux & Michel Daynac & Yannick Lung, 2004. "Internationalisation et redéploiement des industries de défense : quelles conséquences pour la base industrielle et technologique de la Défense ?," Post-Print hal-00185955, HAL.
- Langlois, Richard N. & Robertson, Paul L., 1992. "Networks and innovation in a modular system: Lessons from the microcomputer and stereo component industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 297-313, August.
- Antje Burmeister & Yannick Lung, 2004. "Proximité, circulation et organisation des processus productifs," Post-Print hal-00246779, HAL.
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005. "Technological Determinism and Modularity: Lessons from a Comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 337-355.
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005. "Technological determinism and modularity : lessons from a comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe," Post-Print hal-00153097, HAL.
- Brusoni, Stefano & Prencipe, Andrea, 2001. "Unpacking the Black Box of Modularity: Technologies, Products and Organizations," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(1), pages 179-205, March.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Arturo A. Lara Rivero, 2002. "Packard Electric/Delphi and the birth of the autopart cluster: the case of Chihuahua, Mexico," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 785-798, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grs:wpegrs:2005-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.