Proximities in Modular Production: an Analysis of the Globalization of the Automotive Fisrt Tier Suppliers (In French)
This paper analyzes the strategies of internationalization of the automotive First Tier Suppliers (FTS). The developments of the modular production in the car industry induce an evolution of the vertical relationships which explain, at the same time, the interest and the forms of the internationalization of the FTS. From this point of view, the paper seeks to explain the patterns of internationalization adopted by the FTS by proposing a grid of reading which try to identify proximity request according to complexity and exclusivity of the interfirms’ interactions. The argumentation is articulated around three parts. The first reconsiders the transformations induced by modularization. The second presents some stylized facts on the internationalization of the FTS. The third part presents the analytic grid and draws the implications on the internationalization of the firms.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://gres.u-bordeaux4.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yannick Lung, 2002. "Introduction," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 737-741, December.
- Brusoni, Stefano & Prencipe, Andrea, 2001. "Unpacking the Black Box of Modularity: Technologies, Products and Organizations," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(1), pages 179-205, March.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2002.
"Modularity in Technology and Organization,"
in: Entrepreneurship and the Firm, chapter 2
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Arturo A. Lara Rivero, 2002. "Packard Electric/Delphi and the birth of the autopart cluster: the case of Chihuahua, Mexico," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 785-798, December.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2001.
"The Vanishing Hand: the Changing Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism,"
- Richard N. Langlois, 2003. "The vanishing hand: the changing dynamics of industrial capitalism," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 351-385, April.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2002. "The Vanishing Hand: the Changing Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism," Working papers 2002-21, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005.
"Technological determinism and modularity : lessons from a comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe,"
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005. "Technological Determinism and Modularity: Lessons from a Comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 337-355.
- Vincent Frigant, 1996. "Les espaces du Juste-à-temps : une approche en termes de proximités," Post-Print hal-00669149, HAL.
- Yannick Lung, 2004.
"The Changing Geography of the European Automotive System,"
- Yannick LUNG (GRES-IFReDE-E3i and GERPISA), 2003. "The changing geography of the European automobile system," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2003-10, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Vincent Frigant & Sophie Cancel & Christophe Carrincazeaux & Michel Daynac & Yannick Lung, 2004. "Internationalisation et redéploiement des industries de défense : quelles conséquences pour la base industrielle et technologique de la Défense ?," Post-Print hal-00185955, HAL.
- Jean-Louis Mucchielli & Habib Zitouna & Sylvie Montout, 2005. "Investissements directs étrangers, stratégie des multinationales et échanges inter et intrafirme(s)," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00310539, HAL.
- Vincent Frigant, 2002.
"Geographical proximity and supplying relationships in modular production,"
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 742-755, December.
- Vincent Frigant & Yannick Lung, 2002. "Geographical Proximity and Supplying Relationships in Modular Production," Post-Print hal-00204245, HAL.
- Dieter Ernst, 2002.
"Global production networks and the changing geography of innovation systems. Implications for developing countries,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 497-523.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000. "Global Production Networks and the Changing Geography of Innovation Systems: Implications for Developing Countries," Economics Study Area Working Papers 09, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Vincent Frigant, 2005. "Vanishing hand versus Systems integrators - Une revue de la littérature sur l'impact organisationnel de la modularité," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 109(1), pages 29-52.
- Langlois, Richard N. & Robertson, Paul L., 1992. "Networks and innovation in a modular system: Lessons from the microcomputer and stereo component industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 297-313, August.
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2002. "Modular production networks: a new American model of industrial organization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 451-496, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grs:wpegrs:2005-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.