Géographie d'une industrie automobile modulaire : le cas des équipementiers français en Europe de l'Est
In this paper, we try to understand the new spatial division of labour in the automobile supply industry by considering the localization strategies of French first tier suppliers in European Eastern Countries. The analytical hypothesis is : the development of modular production creates the opportunities to deeply transform the geography of supply chains because modularity creates new opportunities but also new proximity constraints. In a first part, we propose a theoretical typology of locations (with a distinction between production and research units) of first tier suppliers. Then, we deduce which establishments we could find in Eastern Europe Countries. In the second part of the paper, we test our deduction by two ways. First, a statistical analysis of trade exchange of auto parts and components. Second, we make a case study of the French supplier Faurecia. Our results tend to confirm the theoretical analysis. In conclusion, we propose some ways to improve this first work.
Volume (Year): novembre (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-d-economie-regionale-et-urbaine.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dieter Ernst, 2002.
"Global production networks and the changing geography of innovation systems. Implications for developing countries,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 497-523.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000. "Global Production Networks and the Changing Geography of Innovation Systems: Implications for Developing Countries," Economics Study Area Working Papers 09, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Jean-Bernard LAYAN & Jean-Bernard LAYAN, 2007. "Les Nouvelles Configurations De L'Espace Automobile Méditerranéen," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 25, pages 157-176.
- Jean-Bernard Layan & Yannick Lung, 2007. "Les nouvelles configurations de l'espace automobile méditerranéen," Post-Print hal-00150689, HAL.
- Yannick Lung, 2004. "The changing geography of the European automobile system," International Journal of Automotive Technology and Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(2/3), pages 137-165.
- Yannick LUNG (GRES-IFReDE-E3i and GERPISA), 2003. "The changing geography of the European automobile system," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2003-10, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Yannick Lung, 2004. "The Changing Geography of the European Automotive System," Post-Print hal-00244036, HAL.
- François Fourcade & Christophe Midler, 2005. "The role of 1st tier suppliers in automobile product modularisation: the search for a coherent strategy," Post-Print hal-00262872, HAL.
- O. Bouba-Olga & Christophe Carrincazeaux & Marie Coris, 2008. "La proximité : 15 ans déjà !," Post-Print hal-00254915, HAL.
- Jorge Carrillo, 2004. "Transnational Strategies and Regional Development: The Case of GM and Delphi in Mexico," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1-2), pages 127-153.
- Langlois, Richard N. & Robertson, Paul L., 1992. "Networks and innovation in a modular system: Lessons from the microcomputer and stereo component industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 297-313, August.
- Andre Torre & Alain Rallet, 2005. "Proximity and Localization," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 47-59.
- Andersen, Poul Houman & Christensen, Poul Rind, 2005. "Bridges over troubled water: suppliers as connective nodes in global supply networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(9), pages 1261-1273, September.
- Vincent Frigant, 2007. "L'impact de la production modulaire sur l'approfondissement de la Division Internationale des Processus Productifs (DIPP)," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 117(6), pages 937-961.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Anders Larsson, 2002. "The development and regional significance of the automotive industry: supplier parks in western Europe," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 767-784, December.
- Carrincazeaux, Christophe & Lung, Yannick & Rallet, Alain, 2001. "Proximity and localisation of corporate R&D activities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 777-789, May.
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005. "Technological Determinism and Modularity: Lessons from a Comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 337-355.
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005. "Technological determinism and modularity : lessons from a comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe," Post-Print hal-00153097, HAL.
- Nicolas Mouchnino & Olivier Sautel, 2007. "Coordination productive et enjeux concurrentiels au sein d'une industrie modulaire : l'exemple d'Airbus," Innovations, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 135-153.
- Michael Hobday & Andrew Davies & Andrea Prencipe, 2005. "Systems integration: a core capability of the modern corporation," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(6), pages 1109-1143, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)