Ten years of modularity: empirical evidences on the restructuring of the auto part industry (In French)
This article reviews the carmaker-driven industrial restructurings that positioned First Tier Suppliers (henceforth FTS) at the heart of the world’s automobile system. It also draws necessarily temporary conclusions about their performance. The article is organised into three main sections. The first recaps the major transformations induced by modularity that affected inter-firm vertical relationships and highlights the challenges facing FTS. The second uses a ranking of the 30 leading automobile suppliers to analyse the instability of their global hierarchy. The final section focuses on three questions that became key for suppliers: profitability; R&D spending; and internationalisation. Most analysis involves a statistical study of a sample of 20 companies. The three sections converge to reveal a diversity of automobile supplier trajectories, in terms of both their intrinsic performance and the new kinds of operational modes they have operated within their vertical relationships.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)126.96.36.199.75
Fax: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asanuma, Banri, 1989. "Manufacturer-supplier relationships in Japan and the concept of relation-specific skill," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-30, March.
- Gary Herrigel, 2004. "Emerging Strategies and Forms of Governance in High-Wage Component Manufacturing Regions," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1-2), pages 45-79.
- Vincent Frigant & Yannick Lung, 2002.
"Geographical Proximity and Supplying Relationships in Modular Production,"
- Vincent Frigant, 2002. "Geographical proximity and supplying relationships in modular production," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 742-755, December.
- Frigant, Vincent & Layan, Jean-Bernard, 2009.
"Géographie d’une industrie automobile modulaire : le cas des équipementiers français en Europe de l’Est,"
Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine,
Editions NecPlus, vol. 2009(04), pages 711-737, December.
- Vincent Frigant & Jean-Bernard Layan, 2009. "Géographie d'une industrie automobile modulaire : le cas des équipementiers français en Europe de l'Est," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(4), pages 711-737.
- Vincent Frigant, 2007.
"Between Internationalisation and Proximity: the internationalisation process of automotive first tier suppliers,"
- Vincent FRIGANT (GREThA), 2007. "Between Internationalisation and Proximity: the internationalisation process of automotive first tier suppliers," Cahiers du GREThA 2007-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- François Fourcade & Christophe Midler, 2005. "The role of 1st tier suppliers in automobile product modularisation: the search for a coherent strategy," Post-Print hal-00262872, HAL.
- Vincent FRIGANT (E3i, IFReDE-GRES), 2004. "The globalization of the automotive First Tier Suppliers: an empirical study (In French)," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2004-16, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2007-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.