Modularity, interfaces definition and the integration of external sources of innovation in the automotive industry
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Prencipe, Andrea, 2000. "Breadth and depth of technological capabilities in CoPS: the case of the aircraft engine control system," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(7-8), pages 895-911, August.
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2002. "Modular production networks: a new American model of industrial organization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 451-496, June.
- Peter Galvin & Andre Morkel, 2001. "Modularity On Industry Structure: The Case Of The World The Effect Of Product Bicycle Industry," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 31-47.
- Clayton M. Christensen & Matt Verlinden & George Westerman, 2002. "Disruption, disintegration and the dissipation of differentiability," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(5), pages 955-993, November.
- Takeishi, Akira & Fujimoto, Takahiro, 2001. "Modularization in the Auto Industry: Interlinked Multiple Hierarchies of Product, Production, and Supplier Systems," IIR Working Paper 01-02, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Lyra J. Colfer & Carliss Y. Baldwin, 2010. "The Mirroring Hypothesis: Theory, Evidence and Exceptions," Harvard Business School Working Papers 10-058, Harvard Business School, revised Jun 2010.
- MacCormack, Alan & Baldwin, Carliss & Rusnak, John, 2012. "Exploring the duality between product and organizational architectures: A test of the “mirroring” hypothesis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1309-1324.
- Langlois, Richard N. & Robertson, Paul L., 1992. "Networks and innovation in a modular system: Lessons from the microcomputer and stereo component industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 297-313, August.
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005.
"Technological Determinism and Modularity: Lessons from a Comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 337-355.
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005. "Technological determinism and modularity : lessons from a comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe," Post-Print hal-00153097, HAL.
- Pimmler, Thomas U. (Thomas Udo) & Eppinger, Steven D., 1994. "Integration analysis of product decompositions," Working papers 3690-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Manuel E. Sosa & Steven D. Eppinger & Craig M. Rowles, 2004. "The Misalignment of Product Architecture and Organizational Structure in Complex Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(12), pages 1674-1689, December.
- Lau Antonio, K.W. & Yam, Richard C.M. & Tang, Esther, 2007. "The impacts of product modularity on competitive capabilities and performance: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Fixson, Sebastian K., 2007. "What exactly is Product Modularity? The answer depends on who you ask," Working papers 37285, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Fixson, Sebastian K. & Park, Jin-Kyu, 2008. "The power of integrality: Linkages between product architecture, innovation, and industry structure," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1296-1316, September.
- Fujimoto Takahiro & Ge Dongsheng, 2006. "The architectural attributes of auto parts and transaction patterns on design drawings," International Journal of Automotive Technology and Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(4), pages 370-386.
- Whitford, Josh, 2005. "The New Old Economy: Networks, Institutions, and the Organizational Transformation of American Manufacturing," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199286010.
- Vincent Frigant & Jean-Bernard Layan, 2009. "Modular production and the new division of labour within Europe: the perspective of French automotive parts suppliers," Post-Print hal-00381341, HAL.
- Elaine Romanelli & Michael L. Tushman, 1986. "Inertia, Environments, and Strategic Choice: A Quasi-Experimental Design for Comparative-Longitudinal Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 608-621, May.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Cabigiosu, 2018. "When do modular dominant designs emerge? A theoretical framework," Working Papers 05, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Frigant, Vincent & Zumpe, Martin, 2014.
"The persistent heterogeneity of trade patterns: A comparison of four European Automotive Global Production Networks,"
60199, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vincent FRIGANT & Martin ZUMPE, 2014. "The persistent heterogeneity of trade patterns: A comparison of four European Automotive Global Production Networks," Cahiers du GREThA 2014-24, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Battke, Benedikt & Schmidt, Tobias S. & Stollenwerk, Stephan & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2016. "Internal or external spillovers—Which kind of knowledge is more likely to flow within or across technologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 27-41.
- repec:eee:iburev:v:27:y:2018:i:4:p:852-866 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Neumayer, Eric & Perkins, Richard, 2015. "Environmental regulation and the cross-border diffusion of new technology: Evidence from automobile patents," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 244-257.
- repec:eee:proeco:v:193:y:2017:i:c:p:677-690 is not listed on IDEAS
- Morita, Hodaka & Nakajima, Kentaro & Tsuru, Tsuyoshi, 2017. "Product Architecture and Intra-Firm Coordination: Theory and Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 659, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Vincent FRIGANT & Martin ZUMPE, 2014.
"Are automotive Global Production Networks becoming more global? Comparison of regional and global integration processes based on auto parts trade data,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2014-09, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Frigant, Vincent & Zumpe, Martin, 2014. "Are automotive global production networks becoming more global? Comparison of regional and global integration processes based on auto parts trade data," MPRA Paper 55727, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:eee:techno:v:70-71:y:2018:i::p:33-45 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:gjofsm:v:19:y:2018:i:2:d:10.1007_s40171-017-0177-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arash Najmaei, 2016. "Revisiting The Modularity-Performance Nexus: Business Model Innovation As A Missing Mechanism," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 20(07), pages 1-41, October.
- Stefano Elia & Rajneesh Narula & Silvia Massini, 2015. "Disentangling the Role of Modularity and Bandwidth in Entry Mode Choice: The Case of Business Services Offshoring," John H Dunning Centre for International Business Discussion Papers jhd-dp2015-06, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- repec:ibn:ibrjnl:v:11:y:2018:i:7:p:142-151 is not listed on IDEAS
- Claussen, Jörg & Essling, Christian & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2015. "When less can be more – Setting technology levels in complementary goods markets," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 328-339.
More about this item
KeywordsComponent modularity; Interfaces; Auto industry; External innovation; Inter-firm coordination; Buyer–supplier relationships;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:42:y:2013:i:3:p:662-675. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.