The price of modern maritime piracy
A growing body of literature has recently focused on the economic origins and consequences of modern maritime piracy and on the perception that the international community has failed to control it. This paper aims to investigate maritime transport costs as one of the channels through which modern maritime piracy could have a major impact on the global economy. A transportcost equation is estimated using a newly released dataset on maritime transport cost from the OECD together with data on maritime piracy from the IMB. Our results show that maritime piracy significantly increases trade cost between Europe and Asia.
|Date of creation:||27 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0049-551-39 81 72
Fax: 0049-551-39 81 73
Web page: http://www.iai.wiwi.uni-goettingen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rikhil Bhavnani & Natalia T. Tamirisa & Arvind Subramanian & David T. Coe, 2002. "The Missing Globalization Puzzle," IMF Working Papers 02/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Olaf J. de Groot & Matthew D. Rablen & Anja Shortland, 2011.
"Gov-aargh-nance - "even criminals need law and order","
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
11-01, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- de Groot, Olaf J. & Rablen, Matthew D. & Shortland, Anja, 2011. "Gov-Aargh-Nance – “Even Criminals Need Law And Order”," NEPS Working Papers 7/2011, Network of European Peace Scientists.
- Olaf J. de Groot & Matthew D. Rablen & Anja Shortland, 2011. "Gov-aargh-nance: "Even Criminals Need Law and Order"," Economics of Security Working Paper Series 46, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Bensassi, Sami & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada, 2010.
"How Costly is Modern Maritime Piracy for the International Community?,"
27134, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sami Bensassi & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso, 2012. "How Costly is Modern Maritime Piracy to the International Community?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(5), pages 869-883, November.
- Sami Bensassi & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso, 2011. "How Costly is Modern Maritime Piracy for the International Community?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 208, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, S.J., 1999.
"Insecurity and the Pattern of Trade: An Empirical Investigation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
418, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 Aug 2000.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, 2002. "Insecurity And The Pattern Of Trade: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 342-352, May.
- Mirza, Daniel & Verdier, Thierry, 2008. "International trade, security and transnational terrorism: Theory and a survey of empirics," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 179-194, June.
- Olaf Jonkeren & Erhan Demirel & Jos van Ommeren & Piet Rietveld, 2011. "Endogenous transport prices and trade imbalances," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 509-527, May.
- Sarah Percy & Anja Shortland, 2010.
"The Business of Piracy in Somalia,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1033, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Olaf J. de Groot & Anja Shortland, 2010.
"Gov-arrrgh-nance: Jolly Rogers and Dodgy Rulers,"
Economics of Security Working Paper Series
39, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso & Celestino Suarez-Burguet, 2005. "Transport costs and trade: Empirical evidence for Latin American imports from the European union," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 353-371.
- Gordon Wilmsmeier & Inmaculada MartÃnez-Zarzoso, 2009.
"Determinants of maritime transport costs -- a panel data analysis for Latin American trade,"
Transportation Planning and Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 105-121, October.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Gordon Wilmsmeier, 2008. "Determinants of Maritime Transport Costs. A Panel Data Analysis for Latin American Trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 172, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro & Clark, Ximena, 2002. "Maritime transport costs and port efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2781, The World Bank.
- Helen B Bendall, 2010. "Cost of piracy: A comparative voyage approach," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(2), pages 178-195, June.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, 2005.
"Anarchy And Autarky: Endogenous Predation As A Barrier To Trade,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(1), pages 189-213, 02.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, S.J., 1997. "Anarchy and Autarky: Endogenous Predation as a Barrier to Trade," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 383, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2001.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2001. "The growth of world trade: tariffs, transport costs, and income similarity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Maximo Mejia & Pierre Cariou & Francois-Charles Wolff, 2009. "Is maritime piracy random?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(9), pages 891-895.
- Jane Korinek & Patricia Sourdin, 2010.
"Clarifying Trade Costs: Maritime Transport and Its Effect on Agricultural Trade,"
Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 417-435.
- Jane Korinek & Patricia Sourdin, 2009. "Clarifying Trade Costs: Maritime Transport and its Effect on Agricultural Trade," OECD Trade Policy Papers 92, OECD Publishing.
- I Mart�nez-Zarzoso & L Garc�a-Men�ndez & C Su�rez-Burguet, 2003. "Impact of Transport Costs on International Trade: The Case of Spanish Ceramic Exports," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 5(2), pages 179-198, June.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:iaidps:213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Jaep)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.