The Impact of Works Councils on Wages
This paper investigates for the first time the effect of works councils on the anatomy of wages, using matched employer-employee data from the German LIAB for 2001. We find that works councils are associated with higher earnings. The wage premium is roughly comparable with the combined effect of sectoral and plant collective bargaining proper. This result persists after taking account of worker and establishment heterogeneity and the endogeneity of works council presence. Next, using quantile regressions, we find that the works council premium is decreasing with the position of the worker in the wage distribution. And it is also higher for women than for men. Finally, in addition to attenuating the gender wage gap and reducing wage dispersion, works councils have a small but significantly positive impact on tenure after controlling for wages. This suggests that there is some rent sharing; even if, overall, the entity’s voice effects appear to dominate its monopoly effects.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: +351 239 403511
Web page: http://www.uc.pt/en/feuc/gemf/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard B. Freeman & Edward P. Lazear, 1994.
"An Economic Analysis of Works Councils,"
NBER Working Papers
4918, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kölling, Arnd & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2002.
"Establishment Age and Wages: Evidence from German Linked Employer-Employee Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
679, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kölling, Arnd & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2002. "Establishment age and wages: evidence from German linked employer-employee data," Discussion Papers 13, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Alda, Holger, 2005. "Datenbeschreibung der Version 1 des LIAB-Längsschnittmodells (LIAB Longitudinal Model Version 1 - Data Description)," FDZ Datenreport. Documentation on Labour Market Data 200503_de, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Hübler, Olaf & Jirjahn, Uwe, 2001.
"Works Councils and Collective Bargaining in Germany: The Impact on Productivity and Wages,"
IZA Discussion Papers
322, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olaf H¸bler & Uwe Jirjahn, 2003. "Works Councils and Collective Bargaining in Germany: The Impact on Productivity and Wages," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 471-491, 09.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2005. "The Effect of Works Councils on Employment Change," GEMF Working Papers 2005-06, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003.
"The course of research into the economic consequences of German works councils,"
22, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- John T. Addison & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2004. "The Course of Research into the Economic Consequences of German Works Councils," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 255-281, 06.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003. "The Course of Research into the Economic Consequences of German Works Councils," IZA Discussion Papers 878, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Card, David & de la Rica, Sara, 2004.
"The Effect of Firm-Level Contracts on the Structure of Wages: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1421, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- De la Rica Goiricelaya, Sara & Card, David E., 2004. "The effect of firm-level contracts on the structure of wages: evidence from matched employer-employee data," DFAEII Working Papers 2004-06, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- David Card & Sara de la Rica, 2005. "The Effect of Firm-Level Contracts on the Structure of Wages: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," NBER Working Papers 11829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- FitzRoy, Felix R & Kraft, Kornelius, 1985. "Unionization, Wages and Efficiency: Theories and Evidence from the U.S. and West Germany," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 537-54.
- Joan Muysken & Thomas Zwick, 2006. "Wage Divergence and Unemployment: The Impact of Wage Setting Power and Training Costs," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 126(1), pages 1-19.
- Horst Siebert, 1997. "Labor Market Rigidities: At the Root of Unemployment in Europe," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 37-54, Summer.
- John T. Addison & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2006.
"The (Parlous) State of German Unions,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
23, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Horn, Henrik & Svensson, Lars E O, 1986. "Trade Unions and Optimal Labour Contracts," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 323-41, June.
- Addison, John T. & Bellmann, Lutz & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2002. "The reform of the German works constitution act: a critical assessment," Discussion Papers 16, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Farber, Henry S, 1994. "The Analysis of Interfirm Worker Mobility," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(4), pages 554-93, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:wpaper:2006-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.