International mobility of jobs--Diversion from Western to Eastern locations?
This contribution discusses to what extent the expansion of German firms in Central East European (CEE) leads to FDI diversion from traditional host countries. Diversion is defined as reduction of FDI in absolute terms in traditional host regions as a consequence of expansion in CEE countries. The analysis is based on a Bundesbank micro data set (MIDI). The data indicate that expansion in the East is complementary rather than substitutive to FDI at traditional locations both in the EU periphery and the Core EU. Firms expanding foreign operations in general do so at CEE locations as well as in Western and Southern Europe. Poor performance at traditional locations in Western and Southern Europe rarely goes along with expansion in the East. Mobility of production and jobs from traditional to "new" locations is limited. There is strong heterogeneity of FDI firms to be observed with regard to employment performance in the regions considered.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino & Zwick, Thomas, 2006.
"Works Councils and the Anatomy of Wages,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2474, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino & Zwick, Thomas, 2006. "Works councils and the anatomy of wages," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-86, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Neary, J. Peter, 2009. "Trade costs and foreign direct investment," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 207-218, March.
- J. Peter Neary, 2005. "Trade costs and foreign direct investment," Working Papers 200512, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Neary, J Peter, 2006. "Trade Costs and Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 5933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004. "Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004. "Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," Scholarly Articles 3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Sascha O. Becker & Karolina Ekholm & Robert Jäckle & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2005. "Location Choice and Employment Decisions: A Comparison of German and Swedish Multinationals," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(4), pages 693-731, December.
- Anderson, Richard G & Thursby, Jerry G, 1986. "Confidence Intervals for Elasticity Estimators in Translog Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 647-656, November.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira & Thomas Zwick, 2006. "The Impact of Works Councils on Wages," GEMF Working Papers 2006-08, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Mayer, Thierry, 2004. "How different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 280-296, June.
- Anne-Celia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2003. "How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and Determinants of Location Choices by French Firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Working Papers 2003-13, CEPII research center.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00268769, HAL.
- Piazolo, Daniel & Kokta, Robert M. & Buch, Claudia M., 2001. "Does the East Get What Would Otherwise Flow to the South? FDI Diversion in Europe," Kiel Working Papers 1061, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Carlo Altomonte, 2007. "Regional Economic Integration and the Location of Multinational Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(2), pages 277-305, July.
- John T. Addison & Thorsten Schank & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2006. "Works Councils in the Production Process," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 126(2), pages 251-283.
- John T. Addison & Thorsten Schank & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Works Councils in the Production Process," GEMF Working Papers 2005-12, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- D Sethi & S E Guisinger & S E Phelan & D M Berg, 2003. "Trends in foreign direct investment flows: a theoretical and empirical analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 34(4), pages 315-326, July.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1975. "Technology, Prices, and the Derived Demand for Energy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 259-268, August.
- Braconier, Henrik & Ekholm, Karolina, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: Employment Effects in the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 3052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrik Braconier & Karolina Ekholm, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: Employment Effects in the EU," Development Working Papers 161, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Jost, Thomas & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2002. "Bestimmungsgründe deutscher Direktinvestitionen in Entwicklungs- und Reformländern: hat sich wirklich etwas verändert?," Kiel Working Papers 1124, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Ingo Geishecker & Gabor Hunya, 2005. "Employment Effects of Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe," wiiw Research Reports 321, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:streco:v:19:y:2008:i:3:p:260-271. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.