The impact of gender wage gap on sectoral economic growth – cross-country approach
We propose an empirical analysis of testing the relationship between gender wage gap and economic growth. The study takes into account 12 manufacturing sectors in 18 OECD countries for the period between 1970 and 2005.We use industrial statistics (EU KLEMS, 2008) on female and male wages that distinguish between wages paid to different groups of workers classified according to skill level: high, medium and low. We estimate augmented production function where the male-female wage differentials constitute a potential channel influencing growth (positively or negatively). Our research is motivated by the ambiguous results of previous empirical studies (e.g.: Seguiono, 2000; Busse and Spielmann, 2006; Seguino, 2011; Schober and Winter-Ebmer, 2011). Our main findings indicate that gender wage gap for high, medium and low-skilled workers is negatively correlated with sectoral growth. At the same time we confirmed the positive role of trade and human capital. The results are confirmed in number of robustness checks.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: ul. Narutowicza 11/12, 80-233 Gdańsk|
Phone: +48 58 347-18-99
Fax: +48 58 347-18-61
Web page: http://www.zie.pg.gda.pl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Remco H. Oostendorp, 2009.
"Globalization and the Gender Wage Gap,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 141-161, January.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010.
"A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950-2010,"
NBER Working Papers
15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong Wha, 2013. "A new data set of educational attainment in the world, 1950–2010," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 184-198.
- Lilia Dominguez-Villalobos & Flor Brown-Grossman, 2010. "Trade Liberalization and Gender Wage Inequality in Mexico," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 53-79.
- Stephan Klasen, 2002. "Low Schooling for Girls, Slower Growth for All? Cross-Country Evidence on the Effect of Gender Inequality in Education on Economic Development," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(3), pages 345-373, December.
- Gunseli Berik & Yana van der Meulen Rodgers & Stephanie Seguino, 2009. "Feminist Economics of Inequality, Development, and Growth," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 1-33.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Caselli, 2004.
"Accounting for Cross-Country Income Differences,"
NBER Working Papers
10828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2011. "Gender Inequality and Economic Growth: A Reply to Schober and Winter-Ebmer," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1485-1487, August.
- Doris Weichselbaumer & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2005.
"A Meta-Analysis of the International Gender Wage Gap,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 479-511, 07.
- Weichselbaumer, Doris & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2003. "A Meta-Analysis of the International Gender Wage Gap," CEPR Discussion Papers 4127, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Weichselbaumer, Doris & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2003. "A Meta-Analysis of the International Gender Wage Gap," Economics Series 143, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Doris Weichselbaumer & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2003. "A meta-analysis of the international gender wage gap," Economics working papers 2003-11, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Weichselbaumer, Doris & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2003. "A Meta-Analysis of the International Gender Wage Gap," IZA Discussion Papers 906, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matthias Busse & Christian Spielmann, 2006.
"Gender Inequality and Trade,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 362-379, 08.
- Busse, Matthias & Spielmann, Christian, 2004. "Gender Inequality and Trade," HWWA Discussion Papers 308, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Spielmann, Christian & Busse, Matthias, 2005. "Gender Inequality and Trade," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 8, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2000. "Gender Inequality and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1211-1230, July.
- Schober, Thomas & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2011. "Gender Wage Inequality and Economic Growth: Is There Really a Puzzle?--A Comment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1476-1484, August.
- Stephan Klasen & Francesca Lamanna, 2009. "The Impact of Gender Inequality in Education and Employment on Economic Growth: New Evidence for a Panel of Countries," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 91-132.
- Pervaiz, Zahid & Chani, Muhammad Irfan & Jan, Sajjad Ahmad & Chaudhary, Amatul R., 2011. "Gender inequality and economic growth: a time series analysis for Pakistan," MPRA Paper 37176, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 2, number 9780226041162.
- Daron Acemoglu & David H. Autor & David Lyle, 2002.
"Women, War and Wages: The Effect of Female Labor Supply on the Wage Structure at Mid-Century,"
NBER Working Papers
9013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & David H. Autor & David Lyle, 2004. "Women, War, and Wages: The Effect of Female Labor Supply on the Wage Structure at Midcentury," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(3), pages 497-551, June.
- Stephen Knowles & Paula K. Lorgelly, 2002. "Are educational gender gaps a brake on economic development? Some cross-country empirical evidence," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 118-149, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gdk:wpaper:6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wojciech Drapinski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.