Coordination and Cooperation in Investment Timing with Externalities?
We characterize sequential (preemption) and simultaneous (coordination) equilibria, as well as joint-value maximizing (cooperation) solutions, in a model of investment timing allowing for externalities in both flow pro…ts and investment costs. For two ex-ante symmetric …rms, either preemption or attrition occur depending on the size of the investment externality. Coordination is less likely with more discounting, as in a repeated game, and more likely with higher growth and volatility. Optimal cooperation involves either monopoly or duopoly investment, the latter being either symmetric or asymmetric. Finally, these characterizations are validated by applications to standard speci…cations of capacity accumulation and of R&D investment. In the former setup, coordination is likelier if installed capacities and lumpy investments are both large. With R&D input choices, if investment synergies are large, coordination and cooperation result in the same outcomes.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33(0)472 29 30 89
Fax: 33(0)47229 30 90
Web page: http://www.gate.cnrs.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyer, Marcel & Lasserre, Pierre & Moreaux, Michel, 2012.
"A dynamic duopoly investment game without commitment under uncertain market expansion,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 663-681.
- Marcel Boyer & Pierre Lasserre & Michel Moreaux, 2011. "A Dynamic Duopoly Investment Game without Commitment under Uncertain Market Expansion," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-65, CIRANO.
- Grenadier, Steven R. & Wang, Neng, 2005.
"Investment timing, agency, and information,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 493-533, March.
- Bruno Versaevel & Désiré Vencatachellum, 2006.
"R&D Delegation in a Duopoly with Spillovers,"
0610, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Thijssen, J.J.J. & Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2002.
"Symmetric Equilibrium Strategies in Game Theoretical Real Option Models,"
2002-81, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Thijssen, Jacco J.J. & Huisman, Kuno J.M. & Kort, Peter M., 2012. "Symmetric equilibrium strategies in game theoretic real option models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 219-225.
- Dermot Leahy & J Peter Neary, 2004.
"Symmetric Research Joint Ventures - Cooperative Substitutes and Complements,"
200417, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J. Peter, 2005. "Symmetric research joint ventures: Cooperative substitutes and complements," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 381-397, June.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 2004. "Symmetrical Research Joint Ventures: Cooperative Substitutes and Complements," CEPR Discussion Papers 4497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoppe, Heidrun C., 2000. "Second-mover advantages in the strategic adoption of new technology under uncertainty," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 315-338, February.
- Jacco Thijssen & Kuno Huisman & Peter Kort, 2006.
"The effects of information on strategic investment and welfare,"
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 399-424, 06.
- J.J.J. Thijssen & K.J.M. Huisman & P.M. Kort, 2003. "The Effects of Information on Strategic Investment and Welfare," Trinity Economics Papers 200310, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Mason, Robin & Weeds, Helen, 2010. "Investment, uncertainty and pre-emption," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 278-287, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gat:wpaper:1128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nelly Wirth)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.