Financial reforms and international trade:
We provide evidence that financial reforms (over 1976–2005) significantly affected exports, in particular, of industries with higher external capital dependence and low asset tangibility. The coverage of reforms is comprehensive, encompassing the banking sector, interest rates, equity and international capital markets. Our methodology improves upon existing studies by controlling for time-varying unobserved exporter characteristics and unobserved country-specific industry characteristics. We find significant effects of various reforms with diverse impacts by intensity. Further, event studies that incorporate possible anticipated and lagged effects of commencement of reform policies confirm the findings.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2033 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhihong Yu & Yundan Gong & Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2008.
"Can production subsidies explain China's export performance? Evidence from firm level data,"
Kiel Working Papers
1442, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sourafel Girma & Yundan Gong & Holger Gˆrg & Zhihong Yu, 2009. "Can Production Subsidies Explain China's Export Performance? Evidence from Firm-level Data," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 111(4), pages 863-891, December.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2001.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
8245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ross Levine, 2004.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
10766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Salvatore Dominick, 2007. "Economic Effects of NAFTA on Mexico," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Peter Blair Henry & Peter Lombard Lorentzen, 2003.
"Domestic Capital Market Reform and Access to Global Finance: Making Markets Work,"
NBER Working Papers
10064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry, Peter B. & Lorentzen, Peter Lombard, 2003. "Domestic Capital Market Reform and Access to Global Finance: Making Markets Work," Research Papers 1820, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- JaeBin Ahn & Mary Amiti & David E. Weinstein, 2011. "Trade Finance and the Great Trade Collapse," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 298-302, May.
- Abdul Abiad & Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel, 2010.
"A New Database of Financial Reforms,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 57(2), pages 281-302, June.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2006.
"Decomposing the Effects of Financial Liberalization: Crises vs. Growth,"
74, Institute of Empirical Economic Research.
- Ranciere, Romain & Tornell, Aaron & Westermann, Frank, 2006. "Decomposing the effects of financial liberalization: Crises vs. growth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3331-3348, December.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2006. "Decomposing the Effects of Financial Liberalization: Crises vs. Growth," NBER Working Papers 12806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thierry Tressel & Enrica Detragiache, 2008. "Do Financial Sector Reforms Lead to Financial Development? Evidence from a New Dataset," IMF Working Papers 08/265, International Monetary Fund.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bradley, Michael & Jarrell, Gregg A & Kim, E Han, 1984. " On the Existence of an Optimal Capital Structure: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 857-78, July.
- C. Fred Bergsten & John Williamson, 1990. "Currency convertibility in Eastern Europe," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 35-49.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip E. Strahan, 2006.
"Finance as a Barrier to Entry: Bank Competition and Industry Structure in Local U.S. Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 437-461, 02.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip E. Strahan, 2004. "Finance as a barrier to entry: bank competition and industry structure in local U.S. markets," Working Paper Series WP-04-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip E. Strahan, 2004. "Finance as a Barrier to Entry: Bank Competition and Industry Structure in Local U.S. Markets," NBER Working Papers 10832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bicaba, Zorobabel T., 2011. "Do financial reforms complementarity and reforms sequence matter for international capital inflows?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 12, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Hur, Jung & Raj, Manoj & Riyanto, Yohanes E., 2006. "Finance and trade: A cross-country empirical analysis on the impact of financial development and asset tangibility on international trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1728-1741, October.
- Svaleryd, Helena & Vlachos, Jonas, 2005. "Financial markets, the pattern of industrial specialization and comparative advantage: Evidence from OECD countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 113-144, January.
- Yuanchen Chang & Mao-Wei Hung & Chiuling Lu, 2005. "Trade, R&D spending and financial development," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 809-819.
- Bruce D. Smith & John H. Boyd, 1998.
"The evolution of debt and equity markets in economic development,"
Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 519-560.
- John H. Boyd & Bruce D. Smith, 1995. "The evolution of debt and equity markets in economic development," Working Papers 542, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Stiroh, Kevin J & Strahan, Philip E, 2003. " Competitive Dynamics of Deregulation: Evidence from U.S. Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(5), pages 801-28, October.
- Curry, Timothy J. & Fissel, Gary S. & Ramirez, Carlos D., 2008. "The impact of bank supervision on loan growth," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 113-134, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:1182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.