Explaining the energy consumption portfolio in a cross-section of countries: are the BRICs different?
This paper uses disaggregated data from a broad cross-section of countries to empirically assess differences in energy consumption profiles across countries. We find empirical support for the energy ladder hypothesis, which contends that as an economy develops it transits away from a heavier reliance on traditional fuel sources towards an increase in the use of modern commercial energy sources. We also find empirical support for the hypothesis that structural transformation--the idea that as an economy matures, it transforms away from agriculture-based activity into industrial activity and, finally, fully matures into a service-oriented economy--is an important driver for the distribution of end-use energy consumption. However, even when these two hypotheses are taken into account, we continue to find evidence suggesting that the patterns of energy consumption in the BRIC economies are importantly different from those of other economies.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/ifdp/order.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Radoslaw Stefanski, 2014.
"Structural Transformation and the Oil Price,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 17(3), pages 484-504, July.
- University of Minnesota & Radoslaw Stefanski, 2009. "Structural Transformation and the Oil Price," 2009 Meeting Papers 1050, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Radoslaw Stefanski, 2013. "Online Appendix to "Structural Transformation and the Oil Price"," Technical Appendices 12-45, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Radoslaw Stefanski, 2010. "Structural Transformation and the Oil Price," OxCarre Working Papers 048, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Radoslaw Stefanski, 2013. "Code and data files for "Structural Transformation and the Oil Price"," Computer Codes 12-45, Review of Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgif:1015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Franz Osorio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.