Going Electric: Expert Survey on the Future of Battery Technologies for Electric Vehicles
The paper describes the results of a survey, carried out with leading EU experts, on the capacity of both fully electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles to reach commercial success in the next twenty years. The success of electric transport is hampered by a combination of low range, scarce efficiency and high costs of batteries. Costs are expected to decrease in response to increasing sales volume and technical improvements, and advances would result from adequate investments in research, development and demonstration (RD&D). Experts’ judgements are collected to shed light on the inherently uncertain relationship between RD&D efforts and consequent technical progress, and to assess the complex dynamics that will hinder or support the widespread diffusion of electric vehicles. The analysis of the experts’ data results in a number of important policy recommendations to guide future RD&D choices and target commitments both for the EU and its member states.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Magenta, 63 - 20123 Milan|
Web page: http://www.feem.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baker, Erin & Chon, Haewon & Keisler, Jeffrey, 2009. "Advanced solar R&D: Combining economic analysis with expert elicitations to inform climate policy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(Supplemen), pages S37-S49.
- Baker, Erin & Keisler, Jeffrey M., 2011. "Cellulosic biofuels: Expert views on prospects for advancement," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 595-605.
- Giulia Fiorese & Michela Catenacci & Elena Verdolini & Valentina Bosetti, 2012.
"Advanced Biofuels: Future Perspectives from an Expert Elicitation Survey,"
2012.67, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fiorese, Giulia & Catenacci, Michela & Verdolini, Elena & Bosetti, Valentina, 2013. "Advanced biofuels: Future perspectives from an expert elicitation survey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 293-311.
- Valentina Bosetti & Michela Catenacci & Giulia Fiorese & Elena Verdolini, 2012.
"The Future Prospect of PV and CSP Solar Technologies: An Expert Elicitation Survey,"
2012.01, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bosetti, Valentina & Catenacci, Michela & Fiorese, Giulia & Verdolini, Elena, 2012. "The future prospect of PV and CSP solar technologies: An expert elicitation survey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 308-317.
- Tobias. Wiesenthal & Guillaume LEDUC & Pierpaolo & Wolfgang SCHADE & Jonathan KÖHLER, 2011. "Mapping innovation in the European transport sector. An assessment of R&D efforts and priorities, institutional capacities, drivers and barriers to innovation," JRC Working Papers JRC63918, Directorate Growth & Innovation and JRC-Seville, Joint Research Centre.
- È˜erban Georgescu, 2012. "Japan," Conjunctura economiei mondiale / World Economic Studies, Institute for World Economy, Romanian Academy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2012.93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.