When the past is present – The ratchet effect in the local commons
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Chaudhuri, Ananish, 1998.
"The ratchet principle in a principal agent game with unknown costs: an experimental analysis,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 291-304, November.
- Ananish Chaudhuri, 1997. "The Ratchet Principle in a Principal Agent Game with Unknown Costs: An Experimental Analysis," Departmental Working Papers 199608, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Hindriks, Jean & Pancs, Romans, 2002.
" Free Riding on Altruism and Group Size,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 335-346.
- Jean Hindriks & Romans Pancs, 2001. "Free Riding on Altruism and Group Size," Working Papers 436, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- HINDRIKS , Jean & PANCS, Romans, 2002. "Free riding on altruism and group size," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1560, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- R. Mark Isaac & James M. Walker, 1988.
"Group Size Effects in Public Goods Provision: The Voluntary Contributions Mechanism,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 103(1), pages 179-199.
- R. M. Isaac & J. M. Walker, 2010. "Group size effects in public goods provision: The voluntary contribution mechanism," Levine's Working Paper Archive 310, David K. Levine.
- Polzer, Jeffrey T. & Stewart, Katherine J. & Simmons, Jessica L., 1999. "A Social Categorization Explanation for Framing Effects in Nested Social Dilemmas, , ," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 154-178, August.
- Isaac, R. Mark & Walker, James M. & Williams, Arlington W., 1994. "Group size and the voluntary provision of public goods : Experimental evidence utilizing large groups," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-36, May.
- Fischbacher, Urs & Gachter, Simon & Fehr, Ernst, 2001.
"Are people conditionally cooperative? Evidence from a public goods experiment,"
Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 397-404, June.
- Urs Fischbacher & Simon Gaechter & Ernst Fehr, "undated". "Are People Conditionally Cooperative? Evidence from a Public Goods Experiment," IEW - Working Papers 016, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Blume Lawrence E., 1993.
"The Statistical Mechanics of Strategic Interaction,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 387-424, July.
- L. Blume, 2010. "The Statistical Mechanics of Strategic Interaction," Levine's Working Paper Archive 488, David K. Levine.
- Fischer, Maria-Elisabeth & Irlenbusch, Bernd & Sadrieh, Abdolkarim, 2004.
"An intergenerational common pool resource experiment,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 811-836, September.
- Fischer, M.E. & Irlenbusch, B. & Sadrieh, A., 2003. "An Intergenerational Common Pool Resource Experiment," Discussion Paper 2003-57, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Xavier Freixas & Roger Guesnerie & Jean Tirole, 1985. "Planning under Incomplete Information and the Ratchet Effect," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(2), pages 173-191.
- Armin Falk & Ernst Fehr & Urs Fischbacher, "undated".
"Appropriating the Commons - A Theoretical Explanation,"
IEW - Working Papers
055, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Armin Falk & Ernst Fehr & Urs Fischbacher, 2001. "Appropriating the Commons A Theoretical Explanation," CESifo Working Paper Series 474, CESifo Group Munich.
- Falk, Armin & Fehr, Ernst & Fischbacher, Urs, 2001. "Appropriating the Commons - A Theoretical Explanation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2925, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey P. Carpenter, 2000. "Negotiation in the Commons: Incorporating Field and Experimental Evidence into a Theory of Local Collective Action," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 156(4), pages 661-661, December.
- Dillen, Mats & Lundholm, Michael, 1996.
"Dynamic income taxation, redistribution, and the ratchet effect,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 69-93, January.
- Dillen, M. & Lundholm, M., 1992. "Dynamic Income Taxation, Redistribution, and the Ratchet Effect," Papers 1992-3, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Blackwell, Calvin & McKee, Michael, 2003. "Only for my own neighborhood?: Preferences and voluntary provision of local and global public goods," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 115-131, September.
- Walker, James M & Gardner, Roy, 1992. "Probabilistic Destruction of Common-Pool Resources: Experimental Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1149-1161, September.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
More about this item
KeywordsPublic Goods; Social Dilemma; Experimental Economics; Ratchet Effect; Local Interaction;
- C91 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Individual Behavior
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2003-11-03 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-EXP-2003-11-03 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-MFD-2003-11-03 (Microfinance)
- NEP-PBE-2003-11-03 (Public Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:discus:2003-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karin Richter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/mpiewde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.