A cross-country comparison of survey nonparticipation in the ECHP -ISER working paper-
The European Community Household Panel (ECHP) is a very ambitious project whose main purpose is to collect comparable economic, social and demographic information at the individual and the household level throughout the European Union (EU). An attractive feature of the ECHP is its comparability across countries and over time. Indeed, a great deal of effort was devoted to harmonizing the survey characteristics. Nevertheless, the design and the organization of the survey are not completely standardized across countries. This paper exploits the variability of the survey characteristics, both across countries and over time, in order to identify the effects of various features of the data collection process on survey participation. We focus attention on survey nonparticipations caused by ineligibility, contact failure or lack of cooperation. We analyze cross-country differences in participation rates trying to disentangle the role played by differences in the socio-demographic composition of the national populations and the differential characteristics of the data collection process.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:crs:wpaper:9735 is not listed on IDEAS
- Francis Vella, 1998. "Estimating Models with Sample Selection Bias: A Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 127-169.
- J, A, Abowd & Bruno Crépon & Francis Kramarz, 1997.
"Moment Estimation with Attrition,"
97-35, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- John M. Abowd & Bruno Crepon & Francis Kramarz, 1997. "Moment Estimation with Attrition," NBER Technical Working Papers 0214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)