Moment Estimation with Attrition
We present a method that accommodates missing data in longitudinal datasets of the type usually encountered in economic and social applications. The technique uses various extensions of missing at random' assumptions that we customize for dynamic models. Our method, applicable to longitudinal data on persons or firms, is implemented using the Generalized Method of Moments with reweighting that appropriately corrects for the attrition bias caused by the missing data. We apply the method to the estimation of dynamic labor demand models. The results demonstrate that the correction is extremely important.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Abowd, John M., Bruno Crepon and Francis Kramarz. "Moment Estimation With Attrition: An Application To Economic Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, 2001, v96(456,Dec), 1223-1231.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Chang, Young-Jae, 1994. "Incomplete panels : A comparative study of alternative estimators for the unbalanced one-way error component regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 67-89, June.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19980033 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Verbeek, M.J.C.M. & Nijman, T.E., 1990.
"Testing for selectivity bias in panel data models,"
1990-18, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1984. "An Investigation of the Determinants of Manufacturing Employment in the United Kingdom," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 529-57, October.
- Baden-Fuller, Charles W F, 1989. "Exit from Declining Industries and the Case of Steel Castings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 949-61, December.
- John Sutton, 1996. "Gibrats Legacy," STICERD - Economics of Industry Papers 14, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberte:0214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.