Price as a signal of product quality: Some experimental evidence
We separate the budgetary and non-budgetary effects of price on demand using choice data from wine tasting experiments in which consumers tasted wines of different quality accompanied by fictitious price information. The non-budgetary effect is present and nonlinear: it is strongly positive between 3 and 5 euro, and undetectable between 5 and 8 euro. We find a similar nonlinear price-quality relationship in a large sample of wine ratings from the same price segment, supporting the hypothesis that consumer behavior in the experiment is consistent with rationally using prices as signals of quality. Price signals also have greater importance for inexperienced (young) consumers.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Sallustiana, 62 - 00187 Roma|
Phone: +39 066790013
Fax: +39 0647924872
Web page: http://www.eief.it/repec
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ali-Kein, Hela Hadj & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 2007.
"The Impact of Gurus: Parker Grades and EN PRIMEUR Wine Prices,"
37292, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Ali, Héla Hadj & Lecocq, Sébastien & Visser, Michael, 2010. "The Impact of Gurus: Parker Grades and en primeur Wine Prices," Journal of Wine Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 22-39, March.
- HélaHadj Ali & Sébastien Lecocq & Michael Visser, 2008. "The Impact of Gurus: Parker Grades and "En Primeur" Wine Prices," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(529), pages F158-F173, 06.
- Hadj Ali H. & Lecocq S. & Visser M., 2007. "The impact of gurus: Parker grades and en primeur wine prices¤," Working Papers ERMES 0718, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Héla Hadj Ali & Sébastien Lecocq & Michael Visser, 2005. "The impact of gurus : Parker grades and en primeur wine prices," Research Unit Working Papers 0507, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Orley Ashenfelter, 2008.
"Predicting the Quality and Prices of Bordeaux Wine,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(529), pages F174-F184, 06.
- Ashenfelter, Orley, 2010. "Predicting the Quality and Prices of Bordeaux Wine," Journal of Wine Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 40-52, March.
- Ashenfelter, Orley, 2007. "Predicting the quality and prices of Bordeaux wines," Working Papers 37297, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Asher Wolinsky, 1983. "Prices as Signals of Product Quality," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 647-658.
- Gerard J. Tellis & Birger Wernerfelt, 1987. "Competitive Price and Quality Under Asymmetric Information," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 240-253.
- Heffetz, Ori & Shayo, Moses, 2009.
"How Large Are Non-Budget-Constraint Effects Of Prices On Demand?,"
53882, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Ori Heffetz & Moses Shayo, 2009. "How Large Are Non-Budget-Constraint Effects of Prices on Demand?," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(4), pages 170-99, October.
- John Liechty & Min Ding & Rajdeep Grewal, 2005. "Incentive-aligned conjoint analysis," Framed Field Experiments 00139, The Field Experiments Website.
- Tibor Scitovszky, 1944. "Some Consequences of the Habit of Judging Quality by Price," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 100-105.
- Héla Hadj Ali & Céline Nauges, 2007. "The Pricing of Experience Goods: The Example of en primeur Wine," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(1), pages 91-103.
- Michael Spence, 1976. "Symposium: The Economics of Information: Informational Aspects of Market Structure: An Introduction," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(4), pages 591-597.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1986.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 796-821, August.
- Philippe Mahenc, 2004. "Influence of Informed Buyers in Markets Susceptible to the Lemons Problem," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 649-659.
- Ippolito, Pauline M & Mathios, Alan D, 1995. "Information and Advertising: The Case of Fat Consumption in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 91-95, May.
- Pauline M. Ippolito & Alan D. Mathios, 1990. "Information, Advertising and Health Choices: A Study of the Cereal Market," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(3), pages 459-480, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eie:wpaper:1214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facundo Piguillem)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.