Strategic pricing, signalling, and costly information acquisition
Consider a market where an informed monopolist sets the price for a good or asset with a value unknown to potential buyers. Upon observing the price, buyers may pay some cost for information about the value before deciding on purchases. To restrict buyer beliefs we generalize the idea of the Cho-Kreps 'intuitive criterion'. Then there is no separating equilibrium with fully revealing prices. Yet, as the cost of information acquisition becomes small, the equilibrium approaches the full information outcome and prices become perfectly revealing.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:101:y:1986:i:2:p:265-79 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1984.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
709, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1997. "Price signals quality: The case of perfectly inelastic demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 43-61, November.
- Caves, Richard E. & Greene, David P., 1996. "Brands' quality levels, prices, and advertising outlays: empirical evidence on signals and information costs," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 29-52.
- Bester, H., 1991.
"Bargaining vs. price competition in a market with quality uncertainty,"
1991-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bester, H., 1991. "Bargaining V.S. Price Competition in a Market with Quality Uncertainty," Papers 9113, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- repec:oup:restud:v:54:y:1987:i:4:p:525-40 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hellwig, Martin F., 1982.
"Rational expectations equilibrium with conditioning on past prices: A mean-variance example,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 279-312, April.
- HELLWIG, Martin F., . "Rational expectations equilibrium with conditioning on past prices: a mean-variance example," CORE Discussion Papers RP 480, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Riordan, Michael H, 1991.
"High and Declining Prices Signal Product Quality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 224-39, March.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1908, David K. Levine.
- Jones, Philip & Hudson, John, 1996. "Signalling product quality: When is price relevant?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 257-266, August.
- repec:oup:restud:v:61:y:1994:i:4:p:773-89 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sanford Grossman, 1978.
"Further results on the informational efficiency of competitive stock markets,"
Special Studies Papers
114, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Grossman, Sanford, 1978. "Further results on the informational efficiency of competitive stock markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 81-101, June.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:104:y:1989:i:2:p:399-415 is not listed on IDEAS
- Russell Cooper & Thomas W. Ross, 1984.
"Monopoly Provision of Product Quality with Uninformed Buyers,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
688R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Nov 1984.
- Cooper, Russell & Ross, Thomas W., 1985. "Monopoly provision of product quality with uninformed buyers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 439-449, December.
- repec:oup:restud:v:51:y:1984:i:2:p:197-207 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gerard J. Tellis & Birger Wernerfelt, 1987. "Competitive Price and Quality Under Asymmetric Information," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 240-253.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:102:y:1987:i:2:p:179-221 is not listed on IDEAS
- Verrecchia, Robert E, 1982. "Information Acquisition in a Noisy Rational Expectations Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1415-30, November.
- Cummins, J. David & Danzon, Patricia M., 1997. "Price, Financial Quality, and Capital Flows in Insurance Markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 3-38, January.
- Bester, Helmut, 1993. "Bargaining versus Price Competition in Markets with Quality Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 278-88, March.
- Mailath George J. & Okuno-Fujiwara Masahiro & Postlewaite Andrew, 1993. "Belief-Based Refinements in Signalling Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 241-276, August.
- repec:oup:restud:v:50:y:1983:i:4:p:647-58 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:restud:v:48:y:1981:i:4:p:541-59 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:19:y:2001:i:9:p:1347-1361. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.