Beneficial consumer fraud
This article considers a two-sided private information model. We assume that two exogenouslygiven qualities are offered in a monopolistic market. Prices are fixed. A low quality seller choosesto be either honest (by charging the lower market price) or dishonest (by charging the higherprice). We discuss the signalling role of consumers’ information on the equilibrium level ofdishonesty, incidence of fraud and trade. We demonstrate that the equilibrium incidence offraud is non-monotonic in information. This result holds as long as information is noisy andregardless of its private or public nature. Welfare consequences are ambiguous.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John & Zhou, Jidong, 2008.
"Consumer protection and the incentive to become informed,"
9898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark Armstrong & John Vickers & Jidong Zhou, 2009. "Consumer Protection and the Incentive to Become Informed," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(2-3), pages 399-410, 04-05.
- Voorneveld, Mark & Weibull, Jörgen W., 2004. "Prices and quality signals," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 551, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 08 Mar 2004.
- Bester, Helmut & Ritzberger, Klaus, 2001.
"Strategic pricing, signalling, and costly information acquisition,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 1347-1361, November.
- Helmut Bester & Klaus Ritzberger, . "Strategic Pricing, Signalling, and Costly Information Acquisition," Papers 008, Departmental Working Papers.
- Bester, Helmut & Ritzberger, Klaus, 1998. "Strategic Pricing, Signalling and Costly Information Acquisition," CEPR Discussion Papers 2032, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, Curtis R, 1995. "The Economics of Breakdowns, Checkups, and Cures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 53-74, February.
- Mark N. Hertzendorf, 1993. "I'm Not a High-Quality Firm -- But I Play One on TV," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(2), pages 236-247, Summer.
- Edward E. Schlee, 1996. "The Value of Information About Product Quality," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(4), pages 803-815, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2012-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.