Understanding the size and profitability of firms: The role of a biological factor
We collect information on prenatal testosterone in a large sample of entrepreneurs by measuring the length of their 2th to 4th fingers in face to face interviews. Entrepreneurs with higher exposure to prenatal testosterone (lower second to fourth digit ratio) manage larger firms, are matched with larger firms when acquire control and experience faster average growth over the years they manage the firm. We also find that prenatal testosterone is correlated with elicited measures of entrepreneurial skills such as ability to stand work, and the latter are correlated with firm size. This evidence suggests entrepreneurial skills have a biological component and is consistent with models of the size distribution of firms based on entrepreneurial ability. However, firms run by high-testosterone entrepreneurs have lower profitability as measured by return on assets. We offer evidence that this is because the same biological factor that enhances entrepreneurial skills also induces empire building preferences, which leads high-testosterone entrepreneurs to target a firm size that exceeds the profit maximizing value.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Sallustiana, 62 - 00187 Roma|
Phone: +39 066790013
Fax: +39 0647924872
Web page: http://www.eief.it/repec
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oriana Bandiera & Luigi Guiso & Andrea Prat & Raffaella Sadun, 2012.
"Matching Firms, Managers, and Incentives,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1144, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bandiera, Oriana & Guiso, Luigi & Prat, Andrea & Sadun, Raffaella, 2009. "Matching Firms, Managers, and Incentives," CEPR Discussion Papers 7207, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oriana Bandiera & Luigi Guiso & Andrea Prat & Raffaella Sadun, 2009. "Matching Firms, Managers and Incentives," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/14, European University Institute.
- Oriana Bandiera & Luigi Guiso & Andrea Prat & Raffaella Sadun, 2015. "Matching firms, managers and incentives," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 57271, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oriana Bandiera & Luigi Guiso & Andrea Prat & Raffaella Sadun, 2009. "Matching Firms, Managers, and Incentives," EIEF Working Papers Series 0901, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Feb 2009.
- Oriana Bandiera & Luigi Guiso & Andrea Prat & Raffaella Sadun, 2010. "Matching Firms, Managers, and Incentives," Harvard Business School Working Papers 10-073, Harvard Business School, revised Aug 2011.
- Oriana Bandiera & Andrea Prat & Luigi Guiso & Raffaella Sadun, 2011. "Matching Firms, Managers and Incentives," NBER Working Papers 16691, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eie:wpaper:1019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facundo Piguillem)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.