Welfare Policy and Labour Supply of Immigrants in Australia
This paper investigates the impact of social security payments on the labour supply of recent immigrants to Australia after the policy change. This research uses the first wave of two sets of Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Australia (LSIA) data as treatment group and Survey of Income and Housing (SIH) as control group to analyse the short-term immigrant labour market outcomes before and after the policy change. Employing difference-in-differences estimators and propensity score matching procedures, this study suggests that welfare reform caused a substantial increase in the employment of immigrants. This might imply that restricted access to welfare produced a higher proportion of new immigrants who more actively looked for jobs.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research/crwf_ssrn/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schnabel, Reinhold & Gürtzgen, Nicole & Boeters, Stefan, 2003.
"Reforming Social Welfare in Germany: An Applied General Equilibrium Analysis,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
03-70, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stefan Boeters & Reinhold Schnabel & Nicole Gürtzgen, 2006. "Reforming Social Welfare in Germany: An Applied General Equilibrium Analysis," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 363-388, November.
- Beggs, John J & Chapman, Bruce J, 1988. "Immigrant Wage Adjustment in Australia: Cross Section and Time-Series Estimates," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 64(186), pages 161-67, September.
- Denise J. Doiron, 2004. "Welfare Reform and the Labour Supply of Lone Parents in Australia: A Natural Experiment Approach," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(249), pages 157-176, 06.
- Stéphane Mahuteau & P.N. (Raja) Junankar, 2008.
"Do Migrants get Good Jobs in Australia? The Role of Ethnic Networks in Job Search,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(s1), pages S115-S130, 09.
- Mahuteau, Stéphane & Junankar, Pramod N. (Raja), 2008. "Do Migrants Get Good Jobs in Australia? The Role of Ethnic Networks in Job Search," IZA Discussion Papers 3489, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul Bingley & Ian Walker, 1997.
"Household unemployment and the labour supply of married women,"
IFS Working Papers
W97/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bingley, Paul & Walker, Ian, 2001. "Household Unemployment and the Labor Supply of Married Women," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(270), pages 157-85, May.
- Paul Bingley & Ian Walker, 1996. "Household Unemployment and the Labour Supply of Married Women," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/20, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Miller, Paul W, 1986. "Immigrant Unemployment in the First Year of Australian Labour Market Activity," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(176), pages 82-87, March.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, November.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Ashmore, David & Deschenes, Olivier, 2000.
"Do Unemployment Insurance Recipients Actively Seek Work? Evidence From Randomized Trials in Four U.S. States,"
IZA Discussion Papers
128, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Ashmore, David & Deschenes, Olivier, 2005. "Do unemployment insurance recipients actively seek work? Evidence from randomized trials in four U.S. States," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 53-75.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:crwfrp:1109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Stern)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.