Cointegration with multiple structural breaks: an application to the Spanish environmental Kuznets curve, 1857-2007
In this paper we consider the possibility that a linear cointegrated regression model with multiples structural changes would provide a better empirical description of the Spanish environmental Kuznets curve during the period 1857-2007. Our methodology is based on instability tests recently proposed in Kejriwal and Perron (2008, 2010) as well as the cointegration test in Arai and Kurozumi (2007) and Kejriwal (2008) developed to allow for a single or multiple breaks under the null hypothesis of cointegration, respectively. Overall, the results of the Kejriwal-Perron tests suggest a model with two breaks estimated at 1941 and 1967 and three regimes. The coefficient estimated between per capita CO2 and per-capita income (or long-run elasticity) in a two breaks model show a tendency to decrease over time. This implies that even if per capita CO2 consumption is monotonically rising in income, the "income elasticity" is less than one.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edifici Departamental Oriental, Campus dels Tarongers, Avda. dels Tarongers, S/N (4P15), 46022 - València|
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2006. "Growth And Structural Change In Spain, 1850-2000," Working Papers in Economic History wp06-05, Universidad Carlos III, Instituto Figuerola de Historia y Ciencias Sociales.
- Prados De La Escosura, Leandro, 2008.
"Inequality, poverty and the Kuznets curve in Spain, 1850–2000,"
European Review of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 287-324, December.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2007. "Inequality, poverty, and the Kuznets curve In Spain, 1850-2000," Working Papers in Economic History wp07-13, Universidad Carlos III, Instituto Figuerola de Historia y Ciencias Sociales.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura & Joan R. Roses, 2007.
"The Sources of Long-run Growth in Spain 1850-2000,"
Working Papers in Economic History
wp07-02, Universidad Carlos III, Instituto Figuerola de Historia y Ciencias Sociales.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro & Rosés, Joan R., 2009. "The Sources of Long-Run Growth in Spain, 1850-2000," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 69(04), pages 1063-1091, December.
- Prados de la Escosura Leandro, 2003. "El progreso económico de España (1850-2000)," Books, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation, edition 1, number 201136.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eec:wpaper:1114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.