Catching-up, then falling behind: Comparative productivity growth between Spain and the United Kingdom, 1950-2004
The pattern of Spanish comparative labor productivity performance in the period 1950-2004 is underpinned by distinctive sectoral trends. From 1950 until the mid-1970s, Spain narrowed the aggregate labor productivity gap with Britain by shifting resources out of agriculture and by improving its comparative labor productivity position across most sectors, out of which manufacturing plays a central role. Significant improvements in comparative efficiency and the dynamic pace of comparative capital intensity characterize the catch-up phase. In the period 1975-1990 convergence stagnates. In spite of the continual shift of resources out of agriculture and the good comparative performance of small sectors, such as utilities, transport and communication, and agri- culture itself, comparative labor productivity was adversely affected by the catching-up exhaustion of manufacturing and construction and by the deterioration of comparative labor productivity in services. A dramatic slowdown in efficiency gains characterizes the plateau phase. Lastly, Spain has widened the aggregate labor productivity gap since the early 1990s. The deterioration of Spain's relative productivity position with Britain has affected all sectors except agriculture. Efficiency stagnation characterizes the divergence phase.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/our-research/centre-for-growth-and-business-cycle-research/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 1995. "Growth and Macroeconomic Performance in Spain, 1939-93," CEPR Discussion Papers 1104, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro & Rosés, Joan R., 2009.
"The Sources of Long-Run Growth in Spain, 1850-2000,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 69(04), pages 1063-1091, December.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro & Rosés, Joan R., 2007. "The Sources of Long-run Growth in Spain 1850-2000," CEPR Discussion Papers 6189, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rosés, Joan R. & Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2007. "The sources of long-run growth in Spain 1850-2000," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH wp07-02, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Mas Ivars Matilde & Uriel Jiménez Ezequiel & Pérez García Francisco, 2005. "El stock y los servicios del capital en España (1964-2002). Nueva metodología," Books, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation, edition 0, number 201147.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2006. "Growth and structural change in Spain, 1850-2000," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH wp06-05, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Esther Gordo & Javier Jareño & Alberto Urtasun, 2006. "Radiografía del sector servicios en España," Occasional Papers 0607, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)