On the Failure of Core Convergence in Economies with Asymmetric Information
In interim economies with asymmetric information, we show a robust failure of the core convergence theorem. We begin by showing that the coarse core of Wilson (1978) does not converge to any set of price equilibrium allocations considered in the literature. To prove our main point we construct a simple example of a replicated sunspot economy with strictly convex and monotonic preferences. We also show that the coarse core may not satisfy the equal treatment property. Moreover, coarse core allocations satisfying the equal treatment property may not converge to price equilibrium allocations. The result applies to any notion of price equilibrium (including rational expectations equilibria, Radner equilibria, sunspot equilibria) in which fully informed consumers receive a consumption plan maximizing ex-post utility over the ex-post budget set. The non-convergence result holds for several different notions of the interim core proposed in the literature, including the fine core (Wilson (1978)), the private core (Yannelis (1991)), the core in the pooling case (Ichiishi and Idzik (1996), Goenka and Shell (1997)), the incentive compatible core (Vohra (1999)), the coarse+ core (Lee and Volij (forthcoming)), the core with endogenous communication (Volij (forthcoming)). This failure of core convergence is a basic consequence of asymmetric information, which at the interim stage, imposes important restrictions on coalition formation. (Informational constraints may rule out many coalitions of types of consumers that would be present in the standard Debreu and Scarf (1963) complete information framework.) In particular, our negative results do not rely on the lack of `informational smallness' of agents (at least in the sense in which this term has recently been formalized in McLean and Postlewaite (1999)).
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert M. Anderson & Walter Trockel & Lin Zhou, 1997.
"Nonconvergence of the Mas-Colell and Zhou Bargaining Sets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1227-1240, September.
- Robert M. Anderson and Walter Trockel and Lin Zhou., 1994. "Nonconvergence of the Mas-Colell and Zhou Bargaining Sets," Economics Working Papers 94-224, University of California at Berkeley.
- Anderson, Robert M. & Trockel, Walter & Zhou, Lin, 1994. "Nonconvergence of the Mas-Colell and Zhou Bargaining Sets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0fc8c73x, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Robert M. Anderson & Walter Tockel & Lin Zhou, 1994. "Nonconvergence of the Mas-Colell and Zhou Bargaining Sets," Game Theory and Information 9403001, EconWPA.
- Alejandro Manelli, 1989.
"Monotonic Preferences and Core Equivalence,"
859, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Gul, Faruk & Postlewaite, Andrew, 1992. "Asymptotic Efficiency in Large Exchange Economies with Asymmetric Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1273-92, November.
- Anderson, Robert M., 1992. "The core in perfectly competitive economies," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 413-457 Elsevier.
- Anderson, Robert M. & Zame, William R., 1995.
"Edgeworth's Conjecture with Infinitely Many Commodities,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt5kb2x3cd, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Robert M. Anderson and William R. Zame., 1995. "Edgeworth's Conjecture with Infinitely Many Commodities," Economics Working Papers 95-235, University of California at Berkeley.
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984.
"Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria with Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 21-45, January.
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 2010. "Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria With Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2069, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:0141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.